• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R .300wm barrel length?

dmproske

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
Texas
Browsing on gunbroker I see listings for this gun in 24 and 26 inch barrels. Did Remington offer this rifle in two barrel lengths for the same year or are some older models?

Re: Remington 5R .300wm barrel length?

If I remember right the first 250 of them in 300 had 24" barrel lengths, and the rest were 26". No idea why they made the change. Perhaps they used blanks from the 308's as they are 24" and just chambered them for the 300.

I thought the 5R's where 24" barrels too, the one I bought is a 26" and there is a little sticker in the box with the proof of purchase that says 1 of 250,. I don't know if it just a typo somewhere or if they actually had some left over 24" .308 barrel they rechambered.

Yeah I already have a Remmy 5R in .308 with the new externally adjustable trigger. Mine is bone stock and will chew out 5 shot one hole groups easily if I do my part. Based on how the .308 5R's shoot was wondering how the 26" .300wm 5R's shoot.

The first 5R's chambered in 300 Win Mag were 24", but they should all be 26" now from Remington. They will both get the job done, but the 26" will just shoot a few powders better due to the longer burn time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dcp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cruzie27, How does yours shoot? </div></div>

I have no idea how it shoots,. I just got the rifle home Friday night,. I still have to get rings and a base for my Leupy that I am going to use on it.

If it shoot like the other Remington I had I will be more than happy.

Also Remington needs to proof read there shipping lables a bit better,. The ones that came with the rifle state the capacity is 5 rounds,... After rolling a few 190's this weekend I can only fit three in the mag.

Once I get everything set up I plan on buying a bunch of diffrent ammo types and seeing which load it likes the best.

Yea the 300WM dont hold as many as the .308 I just wish I had Badger Bottom metal on mine to use the AI 10 round mags. That will be my next improvemnet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Urimaginaryfrnd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea the 300WM dont hold as many as the .308 I just wish I had Badger Bottom metal on mine to use the AI 10 round mags. That will be my next improvemnet. </div></div>

Hmmm,.. I'm gonna have to look into that.