• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R and the Big Box Special build

carp

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2012
West of the Blue Ridge, Va.
I recently posed a question to a member of this site concerning the compatibility of Rem 700 take off parts. He suggested that I take bring this question to the collective experts and so I am officially making my first post.

First off, let me introduce my self as a admitted newby to the precision shooting world but I have been shooting for 25 years or so. I have been a member of this site for about a year, looking and learning, but with nothing of value to contribute so I just kept my trap shut. But during a a recent visit at the local range, I ran into a member here and his Gradous built rifle. Ive been infected. So here I am, trying to put together something resembling a precision rifle on a shoe string budget. By shoe string budget, I mean I have been searching couch cushions around the house kind of budget. Things arent going well. I need some direction, so I here is what I got...

I picked up a D**** Sporting Goods ADL special for around $350 new. I planned on needing to replace the bottom metal, but I waned the varmint contour barrel and action in .243. In retrospect, I should have gone .308 but I also need to be able to call my own shots, and thought that a braked .243 would better allow for this. But the ADL metal swap was more expensive than I had expected. In fact everything is. After considering the Mcmillan A1-3 in a custom drop in configuration or the cost of a Manners T3, with bottom metal, and the cost of bedding, I realize I need to start looking at take offs and save the money for FFP glass.

So my question is, "Will all remington 700 take off stocks and botom metal be compatible assuming the same barrel contour and action length?" Or more specifically, will for instance the HS stock and bottom metal from a 5R swap onto a 700 action that was originally in the ADLconfiguration? Will any SA take offs in the .308 family work or do I need change my focus on stock options.

I have used the advanced search for this question so I hope not to get roasted. Any direction would be appreciated, even if its to slap the old stock back on the .243 and sell it for a better platform. I am Ok learning from my own poor investment choices, but this build budget is already Tiger Tight. And I'm not really sure what Tiger Tight even means in case you ask.

Thanks in advance,

Carp

Wow never seen anyone regret 243 vs 308, still theres always a first

Any stock made to fit a 700 S/A will work regardless of cal, a short action is a short sction

Take off or BC stock will save ya some coin

Scope wise search the for sale here

243 is a fine choice and most here would gladly take it over 308

This sport is a money pit for sure, buy once cry once

Thanks Jedi, thats what I was hoping to hear. And to clarify, I have no regrets in the choice of .243 over .308 from a balistics or performance standpoint. Its just that as a budget build, the decision to go with .243 meant that I would be limited in what was availiable off the rack in terms of the stock options and configurations. I dont believe that Remington offers a .243 in the same clothing that they offer a .308. I will need to thread the barrel on my own, and upgrade the stock and the bottom metal just ust to get to the base level offerings of a .308. Not a big deal when I was thinking of a premier lever re-stock, but with reality kicking me in the wallet, I will likely be paying more for the same.

But im trying to buy once cry once.

Thanks again,
Carp

350 for rifle
200 new stock
50 for BDL bottom metal

For 600ish bucks you should have a very nicely setup 243 that will walk all over the 308.

Watch here and eBay for a Remmy 5r stock take off. It is an HS Precision with a full bedding block. It will serve you well. Around $250 is a fair price. Bottom metal from any short action will work. Around $50-60 would be fair. Good luck.

Ryan