• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R guys............

Re: Remington 5R guys............

I've never recorded a key #### velocity that spanned across all the other load variables, even same rifle.
step load, same technique> target performance> record velocity

Hell, I have 2 chronos and never trust either of them over range results vs. stats and much less over someone other. Even where I shoot a control group from some other known load I got tired of and made a bunch. It's not bracket racing.

TiDavis,
I've been working with a new 5r for the last two weeks. Did the normal shoot and clean break-in, then started testing loads. My rifle likes 45 grns of Varget over a 168 A-Max, Fed 215, Fed GM brass (because it's free) trimmed to 2.005 and neck turned. I turn the necks just enough to clean them up, seems to help with the neck tension. This load will consistently shoot .250 or less. My chronograph is currently broken, but I'm thinking this load will be close to 2700fps. This load is nearing max in my gun, so start lower. This load will not fit in the mag, OAL is 2.870. My next goal is to see if I can get the OAL down to mag length and maintain the accuracy. The A-Max is a long bullet, not sure if it will be able to be mag fed. I'm going to work with the SMK's 175grn and maybe some 180 Bergers. I forgot to mention that I'm shooting a 8-32x56 power with fine croshairs off a bench.
I like everything about the rifle except the trigger, can't stand the way the trigger set screw sticks out. I may have a solution for that this weekend. Good luck.

just sticking with varget,4064,and r15 will all give good results.even 4895 but no info to share with this powder.and with a 165-8gn bullet 45gn of varget,43gn 0f 4064,and 43gn of R15 will work.but with a 175gn bullet 44gn of varget will work.

but just give me time till I get back from shooting with a friend. and I'll let you guys know how R17 and a 210gn bullet works.and thats with my 5R.

Thanks alot guys!!! Keep up with the reports, Im willing to try anything. Mine is pretty darn good to 100yds right now but this precision stuff is worse than a drug habit. The girl is going off monday for some bolt work and accurizing.

I am loading 175SMK in FGM brass, 2.845OAL(seems to be the max for still being able to use the internal box mag in my 5r), 41.3g of IMR 3031. Haven't put it under the chrony yet but I can shoot less than 1" at 200 in 7 shot groups off a bipod...Seems to be pretty accurate but hopefully its fast enough. The hodgdon site says she should be 2650 or so. I'll report back after today's chrony events.

I have been chamfering the case mouths prior to resizing. Seems to have a positive impact on the seating of the round and she certainly is not too tight in the case...

Full length.

Chrony took a dump today so no mumbers.

However, I put some 175's in FGM brass, FL sized, riding on 45.7g of IMR 4320, and I was very happy with the results.

I said I would get back with you guys when I got back.but still cannot say anything about the R17 yet.still not home just in Nags Head NC.

but the 300wm in a 5R shoots the 210gn berger bt with H1000 great.even at 400 yards it shot a 1 inch group.just wish we could have shoot it at 800 or more but my friend only could shoot out to 400.

so maybe in the with in the next week I can let you guys know about the R17.

I bought 3 5R's for my boys when they come of age ... figured if a father is going to give a gun to his sons he can do a lot worse than giving them an accurate heavy barrel 308.

That being said I decided it would be best if I tested them to make sure that there were no duds in the batch.
smile.gif

I found that 42.0 - 42.5 grs of H4895 w/ a 168gr SMK or 168gr AMAX shoot sub .5 MOA in ALL of the guns that I purchased. OCL = 2.800", Win brass and Fed 210M primers.

Good shooting ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .300 AT&T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I bought 3 5R's for my boys when they come of age ... figured if a father is going to give a gun to his sons he can do a lot worse than giving them an accurate heavy barrel 308.

That being said I decided it would be best if I tested them to make sure that there were no duds in the batch.
smile.gif

I found that 42.0 - 42.5 grs of H4895 w/ a 168gr SMK or 168gr AMAX shoot sub .5 MOA in ALL of the guns that I purchased. OCL = 2.800", Win brass and Fed 210M primers.

Good shooting .... </div></div>

What would be the downside of pushing the OCL out to 2.845? Would the increase in case capacity have an impact on the velocity? Certainly, it is a shorted jump to the lands.

yes it will affect the case volume and velocity.how much I do not know.but a chrony would tell.its just that the 5R's like a SAMMI spec of 2.800.but .045 shouldn't be that big of a deal.