• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R or Savage Long Range Precision Vrmntr

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Which would you choose, and why, for a rifle that needs to be as accurate as possible. Weight is not a big deal as I do not need to carry very far. I will be reloading my own. No need to shoot quickly, this is just for fun at the local range (100, 200 yards) shooting off a bipod. Might want to shoot out to 600 yards once in a great while, but only if the caliber and twist are suitable for it.

Savage Long Range Precision Varminter in 6mmbR. Single shot or w/mag. This rifle is also available in 223 Remington.

Remington 5R Milspec, .223 Remington.

Or...???

Wife wants me to have something for Father's Day.

- Phil

Re: Remington 5R or Savage Long Range Precision Vrmntr

I had a lrpv in 204 and it was a great rifle. I had a rblp single shot (they did not make the repeter at the time). The trigger is good in the savage it can get as low as 6oz out of the box as long as you don't mind the accu trigger and you can change to another caliber very easy. I sold mine to pay for something that would get me farther than the 204 and I ended up not being a big fan of that caliber at the time they did not make them in 6br. I have not used the rem 5r so I cannot comment on it but you would be happy with the lrpv

LRPV, hands down. I have one in .223, and it will routinely shoot .5-.75" groups with factory ammo. In fact, it has done more than a few sub 1/2 MOA groups with Black Hills and Fiocchi stuff.

A few of the guys at the local range have .30 BR's built on LRPV actions, and these guns will shoot in the .3s and .4s all day long.

Both are pretty good rifles. However, I'd try to persuade the wife into putting money down on a custom for Father's Day instead.

wow...diddnt know they started making them in 6br...
my money would be on a single shot 1:8 6br, fighting the urge to think fondly of this idea for myself now.

I'm pretty sure the 5R only comes in .308, so it wouldn't be available in .223. You're probably thinking of a Rem 700 PSS or some other heavy barrel varmint variant that's not the 5R. Two different rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyberpuppy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sure the 5R only comes in .308, so it wouldn't be available in .223. You're probably thinking of a Rem 700 PSS or some other heavy barrel varmint variant that's not the 5R. Two different rifles. </div></div>

They recently started selling .223 and .300 WM 5Rs.

The trigger on my 5R 223 was excellent once I adjusted it.

I have heard that the XMP has a tendency to "adjust" itself, but mine didnt in the brief time I owned it. That rifle shot well.

The Savage would as well.

Remmy triggers are pretty easy to work on.

I have the old Remmy trigger on my 5R, and the new X-Mark on my SPS Tactical (non external adjustment). Both were identical in adjustment, however I do like the way the older Remington trigger shoe fits my finger.

I'd go with the 5R. For no other reason than I bleed green. All three shades....Remington, RCBS and Sierra.

All my money is down with the Savage's now... I have Indian in my blood anyway... now I have the rifle to go with it. It has to be the easiest shooting, most accurate rifle out of the box that I have ever owned!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyberpuppy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sure the 5R only comes in .308, so it wouldn't be available in .223. You're probably thinking of a Rem 700 PSS or some other heavy barrel varmint variant that's not the 5R. Two different rifles. </div></div>

They recently started selling .223 and .300 WM 5Rs. </div></div>

Interesting... I hadn't seen any in other calibers beside .308. Cool!

@OP - something else to consider is a Tikka T3 in .223. Great shooting rifle out of the box.

the savage would get our vote also,their out of the box accuracy is amazing,we have an fcp in .308 that right out of the box second load tested shot 5 shots into 1.534 at 550 yds.but we are fixing to start a build around a remington action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teambarlar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the savage would get our vote also,their out of the box accuracy is amazing,we have an fcp in .308 that right out of the box second load tested shot 5 shots into 1.534 at 550 yds.but we are fixing to start a build around a remington action. </div></div>

Our?

I am leaning to the Savage. Want something that goes bang by Father's Day, and also something simple for this novice to start out with. I figure later on, I can change the stock if I want, and install another barrel if desired. But, I have a lot to learn as far as shooting skills go, and think this gun will be outshooting me for a while.

I saw one review on the Remington 5R that said it was super accurate, and another review that was so-so, with it shooting no better than any other Remington 700 (not bad, but not amazing either). I have not found anything yet that says the Savage LRPV shoots poorly. I am sure some are worse than others, but it looks favorable.

I have held both rifles, and the Remington is much lighter than the tank like Savage, but I am not carrying it far. I also like the fact I can do more work on the Savage myself (easy barrel change). Finally, the Remington does not come in 6mmBR, which seems to be THE cartridge for accurate shooting. I have a choice of 1:8" or 1:12" twist.

- Phil

Go with the Savage, shoots great and doesn't need the bolt face trued or trigger reworked. That floating bolt head is the shit.