• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Remington 5R stainless scope base?

snatiep

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I'm getting my newly acquired Remington 5R .308 ready to take to the range.

I've got the Harris bipod on it and a SWFA SS 12x42 scope should be delivered on Wednesday.

I have yet to order the rings and base for the scope.

Are there any good stainless steel bases and rings you would recommend that wont break the bank? I thought a stainless steel base would look nice with the stainless rifle.

I ran across this website selling stainless bases: MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.

I think I'll stick with a 0moa base.

Or what do you recommend? Stainless? Aluminum? Steel?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Nate

the gun you bought if set up right can shoot 3/8 moa. Mine does. Spend the money and buy quality as the base, rings and scope are as important as the rifle. Look at the larue base and rings sets. I have the Lt 111. If you go cheap your results will suck and you will get upest and wined up buying a second time

Are the rings and scope going to be stainless too? Your rifle but if using black rings and scope the color of the base isn't going to matter much.

What scope and how far do you plan to shoot? Use those to figure if you need/want a 20 MOA base or not. If using a scope with over 65 MOA of elevation then a 20 MOA shouldn't cause any problems and give you a larger amount of travel.

OP,

Like the previous post says the 5R is capable of very good precision and accuracy. IMO you should not worry about the color of the base and rings, worry about getting high quality scope support for your 5R. Both Seekins Precision and Leupold bases and rings are solid and you can take them to your next R700 action or if you buy them new at a fair price and take care of them you can sell them for 80% of new down the road if you switch actions. For a .308Win if you are actually shooting long range a 15-20 MOA base will likely be a better choice. A 15-20 MOA base does not limit you at closer range but a 0 MOA base will limit your dial at longer ranges depending on how many mils of elevation your scope has. There are several explanations about this on the Hide if you do a search.

HTH!

If you are trying to find out if Murphy Precision bases are good, Yes, they are very good bases. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and as usual, the base was perfect. Mine was in ss to match my barrel also.

IMHO, cerakote the receiver, barrel, and bolt black and get a nice quality black scope base; stainless is just too flashy on a rifle...
5RDressed_as_zps3a47d79b.jpg

Murphys are good, so are Near. Near will cost more, but the workmanship is incredible!