• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5r vs Reminton LTR

bobster177

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2009
Jacksonville N.C.
My brother is getting into shooting and he wants to buy a good learning rifle he likes the 5r and the ltr, was wondering if any of you guys could give me the pro's and con's of each, and your personal opinions. thank you

Re: Remington 5r vs Reminton LTR

The Remington 5R is a kick ass rifle. I bought one two months ago and it is top notch. Out of the box and after putting a rail/scope on it, I was grouping nickels in 10 minutes.

I have never used a LTR, but for the money, you will not regret the 5R.

I paid $899 for the 700SS 5R at fin feather fur in Ohio

The 5R is Stainless. The LTR is Black. The 5R has Mil-spec 5R rifling (hence the name). The barrel is 24" long and has 1:11.25 twist... Pretty cool. The LTR has a fluted 20" barrel but I'm not sure of the twist. I've owned both and only slightly prefer the 5R because it's a bit rarer and has that "Mil-spec" cool factor. Both shoot very well and cost about the same. Get rid of the crappy trigger if you get a new one and you'll shoot tiny groups with either. My $0.02...FWIW

I had a 5r 2006 model with a hogue stock on it,it was the best shooting factory rifle I have ever shot.Regretibly I sold it and bought a ltr,I have yet to get the groups with the ltr that I got with the 5r in the first day.Both are 308.

If hunting the ltr would work better

for more precition in a factory rifle I'd vote 5r

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunslinger169</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 5r 2006 model with a hogue stock on it,it was the best shooting factory rifle I have ever shot.Regretibly I sold it and bought a ltr,I have yet to get the groups with the ltr that I got with the 5r in the first day.Both are 308.

If hunting the ltr would work better

for more precition in a factory rifle I'd vote 5r </div></div>
Who put the Hogue stock on it?... Or did they come that way in '06?

It all depends on what he wants to do with it.

Hunting, packing, field use ---> LTR

Static position prone, bench, etc ---> 5R

Not that either of them isn't capable of doing all of the above, but the LTR is handier due to its size / weight. I have been really happy with my LTR in the 4 months or so that I've had it. Easily shooting sub MOA with minimal load development. If he wants to shoot heavy bullets (190s, etc) the 1:11.25 twist of the 5R might be an advantage. I know that my LTR shoots 175s just dandy though. Also, disregard the "get rid of the crappy trigger" comment from above if you get a new one. All post August '09 LTRs have 40-X triggers (and I think that applies to all "LE" models). Mine came surprisingly light and crisp from the factory. Not sure what the new 5Rs are coming with but if it's a 40-X then I'd just run it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raginbullsht</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Remington 5R is a kick ass rifle. I bought one two months ago and it is top notch. Out of the box and after putting a rail/scope on it, I was grouping nickels in 10 minutes. </div></div>

Ditto here regarding 10 minutes to get nickel sized groups. This shoots better than I can. Considering a new trigger. Can't imagine that it'd help much, as I said before, it shoots better than I can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all depends on what he wants to do with it.

Hunting, packing, field use ---> LTR

Static position prone, bench, etc ---> 5R

Not that either of them isn't capable of doing all of the above, but the LTR is handier due to its size / weight. I have been really happy with my LTR in the 4 months or so that I've had it. Easily shooting sub MOA with minimal load development. If he wants to shoot heavy bullets (190s, etc) the 1:11.25 twist of the 5R might be an advantage. I know that my LTR shoots 175s just dandy though. <span style="color: #FF0000">Also, disregard the "get rid of the crappy trigger" comment from above if you get a new one. All post August '09 LTRs have 40-X triggers (and I think that applies to all "LE" models).</span> Mine came surprisingly light and crisp from the factory. Not sure what the new 5Rs are coming with but if it's a 40-X then I'd just run it. </div></div>

I'm sorry... I mis-spoke. I meant to specify the 5R on that "trigger comment".

Thanks for catching that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott W.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5R has the X-Mark trigger, not sure if that is the same as the 40X. </div></div>
absolutely not! The X-mark is the piece of crap I was talking about. You can't get it any lighter than about 3lbs. and it breaks like a limp dick!

The 40X trigger is an extremely nice, fully adjustable trigger.

I have the LTR and am biased. However, the LTR is short and compact and makes for a good hunting rig as well. I have never heard of anyone wishing they had more accuracy from a LTR.

thanks for all the advice guys, i let him read what the pros had to say and he made up his mind to get the 5r. im sure he will be happy

I previously owned a 5R and it shot a beautiful 4 leaf clover at 100 yds. It shoots great and it is actually very light compared to other heavy barreled tactical rifles out there. The only reason I got rid of it was because now I am the proud owner of a GAP Crusader. Believe me for the money you can't find anything better. the biggest drawback for me though was that I hated that HS stock and the stainless barrel I wish they just coated it black, IMHO.