• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5rSS .308 400 yard

bjay

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2009
Aloha state HI
aloha snipers! I noticed theres a lot of you own this riffle i also have one.ive been reading results from people who reload their ammo and i also reload my ammo ive been trying all those loads that i found on this forum.this forum is helpful with bunch of nice people that willing to help.ty guys.my concern is all the loads that ive learned from here were realy great! But some of it are only good for 100yard seems everyone including me tests load on the 100yd.have you 5r owner ever tests loads on this riffle up to 400yard? Which load is the most concistent? For me 44.5 varget seating 2.825 smk 175 Best group so far 3" prone position(just bipod no rear bag)
Im still fishing for the best loads can anyone share theirs before i start buying the powder.ty in advance

what is your best grouping n loads? 400 yard
sorry for my english,its a second language.
By the way my rifle beded from a friend it has jewel trigger presets 1lb millet scope 4-16x60 pls dont laugh on my scope hehe

Re: Remington 5rSS .308 400 yard

Take a look in the reloading section... particularly the "reloading Depot" sub-forum. There are many loads with testing out to 1000+ yards with the 175SMK. Again always work-up to these loads and results will vary according to your personal rifle.

Ty zeRoed. Yup been doing that 5r owners mostly post result at 100 yard and most that id try were only good up 200 or less.

the point of reloading is to fine tune a load for your rifle. There are always standbys that shoot pretty good in all rifles. But if you want to take your rifle to the next level build a load for your rifle. Thats my opinion YMMV

Good luck

Even if the loads aren't specifically tested in a 5R, they should give similar results in a barrel of equal length. The general trend for longer distance loads is a higher charge for increased FPS and lower drop. Obviously keeping under signs of over-pressure and best accuracy is not always attained from fast loads. It is generally a balance between the two and testing with your particular rifle is paramount.

Zeroed u just hurted my feelings:( just baught riffle less than a month old when i was testing this load 42.5 varget 175smk seated 2.825 prone pos 100 yard half in h 5 shot.i dint shot riffle after that.then f class competition came, i again reload ammo for compete 43varget 175smk seated 2.81 trying to make bullet faster for 400yd i was so disapointed i was hoping for 3" or less groupings but ut all over i was on 10 one X three two on 9 the rest was on 8 and 7 on the target dang! I wanted to cry lol.so i shooted the rest of tgat batch back to 100yard it was over an inch grouping.lesson learned i shouldve just stick with the old load

I'm no expert reloader, but you may find another accurate load with higher velocity than the one that didn't work for you. If you change powders, everything starts over again. I can't begin to explain all the possibilities. There are guys here who have been reloading for years and years but still work on new loads. Just remember, reloading is pretty much a never ending process. Take a look at your reloading manual or here on the forums to different powder options. Buy a couple different in smaller amounts and work loads that are best for you. If you find a load that isn't working... its not a failure... just one step closer to the perfect one for your needs and your rifle.

Tnx zeroed im playing with varget r15 blc2 4895 and 4064 at the moment.so far varget leading.but here on hawaii its so hard to find powder specialy varget you proly heard wut happen to that manufacturer.nways ima play 4895 and 4064 this time its wut i have tge most powder hope ill hit jackpot on 4064.this powder seems to be all over right now.zeroed what do you think of "you got what you paid for" im talking about my scope should i jump to a litle mpre expensive scope?or pricey isnt always the besty

Read this article on ladder testing out to 1000 yards. I've adapted much of that to my load development, although I've chosen to do it within a 100-300 yard window: http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html

One technique used in the article is to color the bullets with Sharpies so you can shoot various loads into the same target round-robin style. An improvement on that now is that you can get Sharpies in more colors. (And only use that brand. I bought some Bics and could barely make out the various colors even when I brought the targets home and ironed them between two sheets of paper.

I don't know if the 5R suffers from this like the other Remingtons, but quite often there is an excessive free bore. Heres why:

Long ago, previous Remingtons had proper throats. Long story short, due to lawyers and hot hand loads, that has changed. When most modern centerfire cartridges are loaded correctly to length, the projectile is at or just off the lands. Well, hot hand loads are what caused the problem. Hot hand loads that are "jammed" are even more of a problem. Basically, a "jammed" bullet is seated in the lands. When the rifle is fired, there is excessive pressure, as there is already resistance on the projectile from contacting the lands and it does not as easily begin its forward movement as it would have in a free bore. This excessive pressure can turn a "hot load" into an "explosive load." To get around this issue, Remington started chambering their rifles with excessive head space, so that no matter what a hand loader did, he couldn't get his "hot hand load" close to or into the lands.

Basically, they ended up with a free bore that is so long that when you load the 308 to maximum magazine feeding length, it still isn't even close to the lands. Its simply a lawyers fix to keep hot hand loads from over-pressurizing, blowing up rifles, and consequently, having lawsuits filed against Remington.

I don't care who you are, its generally safe to say, that a bullet seated at the lands or jumped .015, it will be the most accurate. The Houston warehouse projects proved this. Accuracy always deminished after more than a .015 jump. Sometimes a small caliber VLD will like a little more of a jump, say .030, but not often.

So you are left with a problem. Accurate rounds need to be seated at the lands, or jumped or jammed by about .015. But there is no way to get that on a Remington because of the excessive freebore.

I've seen some 22-250 Remingtons, that no matter how far out the bullet was seated, the case neck simply wasn't long enough to get the bullet out there! I had one that I simply could not load for because the OAL was so long, in order to get close to the lands, I'd need a case with a much longer neck. And there are a bunch of 308 Remingtons that suffer from the free bore being so long that even when hand loaded to maximum magazine length, projectiles are still excessively jumped.

And this leads us to why gunsmiths set brand new barrels back as part of an "Accurizing Package." You would be amazed at how well a stock Remington barrel can shoot when its set back and re-chambered.

Now I'm not saying that this is your issue. But I think you need to figure out how much free bore you have. Then you need to figure out your OAL with the projectile sitting .015-.010 off the lands and see if you can even load a round that will fit in your magazine. At that point you have three options:

1. Use your 5R as a single shot with some proper loaded rounds, simply because the OAL is too long to fit in the magazine.
2. Use your 5R as intended, suffer with the excessive free bore, and get it as accurate as you can with what you have.
3. Take it to a smith. Have the action blueprinted, have the barrel set back, re-chambered, and crowned. I suggest you have GAP do it, if they are willing, and their turn around fits your timeline. If you do this, I bet you would easily print 3/8 inch groups with some 175gr FGMM or 175 Black Hills Match with your stock 5R barrel.

The excessive freebore engineered into Remingtons is problematic. It saves them from a lawsuit, but takes from from the shooter and the accuracy potential of one of their rifles.

Hope that helps in your quest for accuracy. As always, when handloading, start at least 10% low and work up.

And by the way, read that article Azimutha linked. Its fantastic. There are tons of great articles on 6mmBR.com that would help you out. There is even an entire page dedicated to the .308 Winchester and there are lots of great accuracy loads there as well.

As always, when handloading, start at least 10% low and work up.

Damn, I'm really trying to help you out here with what worked for my 5R. You are just making it really difficult to read what you are typing though.

Each rifle, even the 5Rs will like a load a little differently. Best bet is to just try everything that you can until you figure out what is best for your rifle. Good luck.

Zeroed mah bad lol im using my iphone to type its so difcult on a tiny keyboard hehe even worse when trying so hard to typ my second language(english)
smile.gif
but ty so mch zeroed that was so helpfull.wut do you think about my scope?should i replace it.hmmm NF is it worthed?

I'm not the only one here giving advice... haha. Your scope should suit you fine for now. I'm not really too familiar with Millet scopes but i've heard good things about them in that price range. My advice is to keep your scope for now. Use that money to reload ammo and shoot a lot. Once your skills progress, you will find features that are offered in top of the line scopes that may make the upgrade worth it in the long run. I would love to have a nightforce or similar scope, but I don't need it right now and its out of budget. Once I enter competitions or begin regularly shooting past 500 yards... I will make the jump. But the short answer is nightforce is worth every penny, but not the only option.

mahaloz mahaloz!!! everyone
smile.gif
i like millet scope specially for the price.dang!! i cant find VARGET here..anyone outhere has an experience on imr 4064?

Good n bad news!!good news is i shoted varget 44gr i was amazed on the results its truly half inch allday! BAD news is theres no where i can find varget here in hawaii anymore!!! 5r user i have only 3 powder choice.. Its either imr4064 imr 4895 h4895 or imr4064... Which one gave you the best result

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good n bad news!!good news is i shoted varget 44gr i was amazed on the results its truly half inch allday! BAD news is theres no where i can find varget here in hawaii anymore!!! 5r user i have only 3 powder choice.. Its either imr4064 imr 4895 h4895 or imr4064... Which one gave you the best result </div></div>

I've used both IMR 4064 and H4895 with good results in the 308 (using both 168 and 175gr MKs). You shouldn't have a problem working up a load that will shoot well.

honkey and wuzup any fav loads? COAL,velocity or maybe powder grain.what case, primer? i tried winchester case and primer not to happy with the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">honkey and wuzup any fav loads? COAL,velocity or maybe powder grain.what case, primer? i tried winchester case and primer not to happy with the results. </div></div>FC brass, 210M primers, 42 grains 2.800 witch got me in the 2600 area, 43 grains was to hot for my rifle, almost couldnt rack the bolt to extract.

honkey how good was your groupings?have u ever tried h4895 and imr4895? just curiousity on the results

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">honkey how good was your groupings?have u ever tried h4895 and imr4895? just curiousity on the results </div></div>5 rounds in .3's with a bushnell 3200 lol
Nope, only 4064, I just got my first ever cans of varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mahaloz mahaloz!!! everyone
smile.gif
i like millet scope specially for the price.dang!! i cant find VARGET here..anyone outhere has an experience on imr 4064? </div></div>

Check here for Varget. Looks like 8 pounders are still in stock.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/home.php?cat=1157

As far as loads go I haven't had a chance to stretch my 5R out to 400+ yet. But during load development the following load shot .272 at 100 yds.

Win Brass
Win Primer
175 Gr SMK
43 Gr Varget
2.82 OAL

brand692,

That was interesting info about Rem. free bore. It is less in my 5R than in my LTR, but still more than necessary. For now, I'm getting .5-.75 MOA groups with both so am not unhappy with loading to mag. length. Someday, when it comes time to rebarrel, I'll get them set back properly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baschu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as loads go I haven't had a chance to stretch my 5R out to 400+ yet. But during load development the following load shot .272 at 100 yds.

Win Brass
Win Primer
175 Gr SMK
43 Gr Varget
2.82 OAL</div></div>
same here i got good luck the same recipies half inch or less 100 yard.i tried it opn the f class competition 400yard for the first time.9 and 10 ring couple X.x is about inch anf half radious 10 ring is 3" across so basicaly groupings is about 4 inches on 400 yard hmm im not happy about it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoRepeater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had good luck with 42.5 gr H4895 and the 178 Amax.

Also 43.5 Varget and the 178 AMAX.

Both out of a 24" 5R barrel.</div></div>
seating? have you tried 175smk on that?do you mind share results on it i just got 3lb h4895.im gonna load some today thnx for your responce.i dont have 178 so ill try my smk175:)