• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 600 as a target rifle

aur0ra145

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2012
DFW, TX
Backstory: My grandfather used a Remington 600 Mohawk in .222 Rem to shoot turkey's with. He'd shoot them in the head at range and loved this rifle. Fast forward 30+ years... Grandpa passed away just nearly a year ago. At that time I got most of his rifles after giving a select few to my sister for her kids (if/when she has some.) Anyways, this Remington 600 was nowhere to be found. I was really bummed as I looked forward to getting this rifle for quite a while now. Then today rolled around, which also happens to be my birthday. Somehow, someway, the Remington 600 was found and my grandma gave it to me today. Woot!

I'm not going to permanently modify this rifle. However, on the left side of the receiver it looks to be drilled for target sights. The barrel is tapped for a front sight as well. Looking at google, most if not all of these rifles were tapped for a target like setup. Sort of like what you see on the old 40X rifles. Though, I can't find anybody who put target sights on these rifles.

Am I misled to think this will take target sights? I'd love to get a second stock and some Redfield Olympic sights and go to town, but I don't want to pull the the trigger on a purchase if I'm wrong about all of this. Thankfully he left me the most .222 Remington ammo I've seen in anyone one place on earth. Plus I reload so this rifle will be shooting for the foreseeable future.

Now if I can figure out how to get the bolt out of this thing I'll be in business.

The holes in the 600's receiver are for Redfield (and Redfield-style) iron sight blocks. You can get them from Champion's in Tennessee. If you relieve the stock a little you won't need to replace your wood.

14395812_6.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
The barreled action has to be removed to get the bolt out by access to a bolt stop. This can be remedied by replacing the factory trigger with a Timney that uses a 700 type bolt release.

The bolt can be removed by sticking the blade of a pocket knife into the left side of the raceway and depressing the stop. No need to remove it from the stock. Wish I still had mine:(