• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 600 & model 7 stocks

holy cow

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 22, 2010
    South East Ohio
    Who on here is a Remington action guru? Mike Bush built me a varmint off a model 7 action not long ago. I put the hammer down on a Remington 600 action that was trued up by Fred Sinclair years ago but was never used and i am shipping it straight to Beanland for a build. They look the same and i need to find a stock for 1. Are these actions identical in foot print and hole spacing to bolt in a stock and are the tangs the same. Do you think this action would bolt right in a stock for a model 7 action without any mods? Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Re: Remington 600 & model 7 stocks

Won't fit without some work. If it is a stock that you can paint it can be made to work, if not then there is no easy fix I have found. Edit to add...I should say if it is a synthetic stock without molded in color or you paint over the molded in color you can make it work. You have to set the tang where it should be on account of the trigger position. Then you need to move ejection port cutout rearward because of rear bridge being about 3/8" narrower, then you have to move lug cutout etc back about 1/2" which is near impossible on a wood stock and questionable on a fiberglass unless you put a crossbolt in either for good measure.

The 600/660/XP actions are about 1/2" shorter than a 700 Short action and a Model 7 is about 3/8" shorter than the 700. The big difference is from ejection port back, shorter rear bridge, shorter tang etc.

Been down that road and it was depressing. Found a really nice older McMillan smear stock for a 600 and bought it thinking I could make it work for 700SA or at least a Model 7. After some comparing etc I finally sold it. Would have been a butcher job to fit anything other than a 600 into it and I wasn't going to pay a good price for a 600 action and then more money to get rid of the cheezy to me dogleg bolt handle etc just to have a neat old McMillan smear stock.

You really need a stock cut specifically for the 600/660 actions!!!!

YMMV however.

How are you doing my friend. Thanks so much for the info, that is the answer i was looking for to set my mind at ease. Thanks again for the barrel and i have all the parts ordered for it. Let me know if you part with any 22 cal. or 6mm barrels, i'm always needing something for a build.

If you want to sell it i may be interested in it. Sent you a pm.

If anybody has an after market stock made for the 600 action let me know. If its what i need i will take it off your hands.

Dan,
    Guard screw spacing on a short 700 is 6.495". On a Model 7 it is 5.89" and on a 600 it is 6.560". Mag box is in a different location compared to the guard screws on all three so the ejection port is also off. Also there is about 1/2" difference in the trigger relationship to the rear guard screw. You need to stay with a 600 spec trigger on a 600 action. If you try to put a 700 spec trigger on one the trigger lever itself it so close to the rear guard screw you cannot use any normal trigger guard using the rear guard screw. Big hassle, best to stay with stuff that is designed to work together.

Thanks for the info Mr. Davis. I have a model 7 bolt from PTG, do these interchange and could it be fitted to the action. If i need to stick with a Remington trigger made for the 600 where would i get one and could a new one be bought or an after market trigger from a good company be had.

Dan,
    Nope, Model 7 bolts are a different length than the 600/660 bolts. However, PT&G does make a replacement bolt for the XP-100 with a straight bolt handle for the guys building single shot rifles on XP-100 actions and the XP-100 bolts and 600/660 bolts are interchangeable. However, that funky dog leg bolt handle is there for a reason. The 600 is a very short action with a short rear tang. The face of the trigger is about 1.25" in front of the rear guard screw rather that the normal 11/16" of the 700. If you put a straight bolt handle on a 600 then the round knob of the bolt is going to set right on top of your trigger finger knuckle. It will hit your knuckle, quite painfully, every time you shoot the rifle. That's why they put the dog leg bolt on there, for recoil clearance.
    Again, best to stay with the stuff that is designed to work together. Besides, the dog leg bolt works just fine, just looks different. Several companys make replacement triggers for the 600/660 rifles. I don't know all of them but I'm pretty sure Timney does. I think that is what I have on my little 600. Unfortunately it doesn't get shot much, it's an early vent rib .350 Rem Mag and I'm just too old for that kind of brutality.