• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 “G” Prefix

HTX_17

Lurker Extraordinaire
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Houston
I’ve seen the “G” prefix noted when people are discussing their Remington 700 actions but rarely see any other prefixes mentioned. Is the “G” series special?

If so, why?

Thanks

E and G prefix actions were used in building m40a3 and A5. 6&7 digit, and. C prefix used for m40 and m40a1. That’s all I know. I think S prefix was used for the xm3 rifles could be wrong on that one.

Reactions: HTX_17 and medbill
G prefix immediately preceded the RR prefix actions of the Freedom Group days. The Freedom Group RR prefix actions are suffered from more QC issues and overall reduction in quality. Generally G prefix and earlier series actions were better quality. Freedom Group no longer owns Remington after the bankruptcy last year. Hopefully 2019 Remington improves the quality of their products.

hope so as well. I bought a 5R gen II straight from Remington this year through friends and family program. Fit and finish is excellent, and so far, with what little load testing I have been able to do, it shoots sub moa easily.

Reactions: FuhQ and Stevo86
Your rifle will be fine. They are turning out some good shooters this year. I think Remington will make a big comeback. Of course you’ll always have the haters tho.

Reactions: medbill
I have a G, and it's a shooter. Primary extraction is solid. I have a RR that was a lemon, and it had no primary extraction at all until I put a PTG bolt in it

I have a G, and it's a shooter. Primary extraction is solid. I have a RR that was a lemon, and it had no primary extraction at all until I put a PTG bolt in it
Yeah the PE on the RR actions is a common issue. I think a gunsmith or two have discussed it in orther threads. There's also youtube videos about it.