• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 223 AICS

fieryjekyll

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2023
New York
Hello. I'm relatively new to gunsmithing and I am thinking of making my next build with a Remington 700 .223 short action. I'd like to use an AI chassis, but it seems like a .223 Remington chassis is no longer available based on what I'm seeing on the AI website. Only a .223 Winchester chassis looks to be in production.

Am I looking in the wrong place or misinformed? Any pointers for where I can start looking for parts for the build? Is it even worth doing? Thanks!

Hello. I'm relatively new to gunsmithing and I am thinking of making my next build with a Remington 700 .223 short action. I'd like to use an AI chassis, but it seems like a .223 Remington chassis is no longer available based on what I'm seeing on the AI website. Only a .223 Winchester chassis looks to be in production.

Am I looking in the wrong place or misinformed? Any pointers for where I can start looking for parts for the build? Is it even worth doing? Thanks!
Just an update. I heard from Mile High Shooting Accessories that the 223 chassis are no longer in production. What are my options for using .223 Remington/5.56x45 AICS magazines with a Remington 700?

Ai doesn’t make their 223 mag anymore. Their plastic mag sucked anyways.

Any short action chassis should work as said above.

Try an accurate mag. It’s my go to aics pattern 223 mag.

Reactions: evilsemaj
Yeah, it's not the chassis. It's the .223 version of the AICS magazine. AI gave up making a magazine for the small diameter cartridge. I can't remember the reason. Find it really hard nobody wanted one. Probably a function reason.

A short action chassis will work with a rem 700 .223 chambered short action reciever.

I thought AccurateMag or Magpul did a .223 AICS form factor magazine.

It's just a short action R700 chassis, nothing special. You just won't use the mag it comes with. Buy whatever chassis you like and run Accurate 223 AICS mags, they're way better than those plastic pieces of shit that AI made anyway.

Reactions: DFOOSKING
I put a 700 in 223 in an at chassis. The magpul 223 mags do not work. They sit too low. I have yet to try MDT's or accurate mags yet.

I put a 700 in 223 in an at chassis. The magpul 223 mags do not work. They sit too low. I have yet to try MDT's or accurate mags yet.
In my testing sample of one, I tried a 700P 223 in an AT-X AICS with the Magpul mag, and they fed well. Again, one rifle, one mag, and one chassis. I was curious as that mag is relatively cheap, and for grins, even as short as it is, I could use that setup to shoot across the course. That 700P is only 1/9 twist so the short mag capacity doesn't matter.

If I were serious, and had a faster twist barrel, I'd get the longer capacity mags to mag feed 80s.

You can look at this below option if you use something other than an AI variant....

Remington (SA) 700 "Stealth" DBM with for AR-15 Mags (Includes One Mag)​