• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 300 BLK bolt hard to close

Miklary

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2022
Connecticut
Hey guys can use some help, I purchased a used Remington 700 in 300 BLK and it did not come with a Bolt, so I bought a used bolt on eBay in .223.

The bolt is hard to close on factory ammo, but will extract and function just fine. No scratches or scuffs in the chamber or damage to the brass. Any recommendation on what could be happening, headspace issue perhaps? Or something else that I maybe be missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Get a headspace gauge. I’ve had some factory ammo in 300blk that was hard to close the bolt on. That was also a 700.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Hey guys can use some help, I purchased a used Remington 700 in 300 BLK and it did not come with a Bolt, so I bought a used bolt on eBay in .223.

The bolt is hard to close on factory ammo, but will extract and function just fine. No scratches or scuffs in the chamber or damage to the brass. Any recommendation on what could be happening, headspace issue perhaps? Or something else that I maybe be missing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Does the fired brass fit back in the chamber and close ok ?

The factory bolts aren’t all headspaced the same like a custom action is. I think you got really lucky for the bolt to function as much as you have.

One bolt will function fine in another action. The headspace isn't likely going to be the same as with the another bolt though. It could be one of several things. The ammo could be to big. The headspace in the rifle could be to small. Or sometimes those 223 extractors in Remington bolts don't want to pop over the rim of the case.