• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 300 Win Mag Base mount problems

TraumaControl

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2018
I have a remington 700 in 300 Win Mag with a Magpul Enhanced Stock. I zeroed it and was running through ammo to test what worked best. Federal Premium 190 gr SMK BTHP were 0.8 MOA and settled on that as my go to. Loaded a few hand loads and was able to find a load with tweaking OAL to comparable sub MOA accuracy. This was about a 80-100 round process. The next outing I was testing other higher grain bullets and was getting 1.5-2 MOA but then 3-4 MOA. I allowed time for the barrel to cool while testing. Checked mount screws and they were all secure. I grabbed the scope and torqued it on the rail with a little force and found it wobbling. I unmounted everything, re-secured the base mount to 25 Ft/lbs with blue lock tite, and re-zeroed with the Federal Premium ammo I know the gun likes and got back to sub MOA. That was a month ago, I just took the rifle out again and after 20 shots, I started to have a repeat of the above experience. Sure enough the base mount came loose again. I am about to scrap this build for precision long range as in 20 shots it becomes unreliable. Anyone have any tips to secure the base mount to not have this problem?

What base, rings, and scope are using now?

Didnt realize I was in semi auto forum. I was using the factory 20 MOA Picatinny base that came on the reciever with Vortex Precison Matched rings with a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x FFP. I just ordered a Seeking Precision base with a recoil lug and plan to bed the base with JB Weld with the below process.

I will upgrade the scope when its a reliable platform.