• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 .308 5R 20" Threaded or 24" Barrel ?

Tim_in_NC

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
Hi Guys ... going to start gathering parts for my .308 precision build ...

Decided on the AICS platform in conjunction with a Remington 5R Stainless Action/Barrel ...

However, I'm having a hard time deciding between the 20" threaded or the 24" ...

If I went with the 20", I'd throw on a Muzzle Brake ...

Can someone provide me with any advantages/disadvantages between the 2 to help me decide ...

Re: Remington 700 .308 5R 20" Threaded or 24" Barrel ?

i had your same question about 3 weeks ago. i poked around here for a few weeks before i joined. read thru the old posts. i went with the 20"er. it should be here today. with all of the opinions i read, there was not a HUGE advantage to the 24". so i went for mobility, and the option to mount a suppressor, which i want to start the process next week.

i came up with a 50-150 fps loss. it all depends on who you talked to.

i do not have first had experience with either, but i relied on the experience of the guys to lead me in the right direction.

I too opted for the 20" barrel and muzzle break combo based on what I've learned from this site and the opinions of guys way smarter than me. It seems the only downfall of the 20" barrel is slight loss in muzzle velocity. Not too much of an issue, depending on the distances you plan on shooting. There are several benefits to the shorter barrel, the most obvious being the mobility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Colonel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too opted for the 20" barrel and muzzle break combo based on what I've learned from this site and the opinions of guys way smarter than me. It seems the only downfall of the 20" barrel is slight loss in muzzle velocity. Not too much of an issue, depending on the distances you plan on shooting. There are several benefits to the shorter barrel, the most obvious being the mobility. </div></div>

Thanks Guys ...

Colonel ... do you have any pics of you Rifle with the Brake Installed?

having worked with both id go with the 20" also. the mobility and weight outweigh the MV you lose. youll still have no problem reaching a grand with a 20 incher. IMO 20 wins

Thanks for all of the good feedback guys ...

This is a 20" threaded 5R, the model you're describing. It has a R&D Precision Rapid Brake on it in the picture.

DSC_1155.jpg

I have a factory 20in and getting a minimum of 2600 fps to reach 1000yds is going to be an issue. These factory Rem barrels are just really slow compared to the 4 other custom rifles I've owned.

So far I've worked up this load, and it only drives the Berger 175gr 2510fps.
FGMM once fired brass
Federal match 210 primers
Berger 175 OTM
43.5gr RL-15
Average 2510fps

Have you try a lesser grain bullets like the VLD's or the Sierra 155/Palma

I was getting 2550 out of mine and I wasn't anywhere near max. I attained those velocities with:

175SMK
Fed Brass
Fed 210M primers
IMR 4064 @ 42.5 gr

and I got about the same velocity with 44 grains of Varget.

Edit: The guys that I've talked to with short 308s seem to find that it's hard to push the 155s fast enough to get the benefit over the 175s. I haven't tried them myself though.

I have some 155gr SMK Palma(2156), and some Hornady 155gr A-Max's that are on there way here. I plan on trying loads from 45.0-46.3gr with RL-15. This should get me out to 1000yds.

I am going with a 24" on my custom build since I will not be running a suppresor or I would have opted for the 20. I think the 24 looks better IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was getting 2550 out of mine and I wasn't anywhere near max. I attained those velocities with:

175SMK
Fed Brass
Fed 210M primers
IMR 4064 @ 42.5 gr

and I got about the same velocity with 44 grains of Varget.

Edit: The guys that I've talked to with short 308s seem to find that it's hard to push the 155s fast enough to get the benefit over the 175s. I haven't tried them myself though. </div></div>

Depending on the game you play it's not that easy to get the 155s to pay off with a 30" barrel either.

They do a great job of flattening your shot, so shooting UKD that's good, but unless you get at least 200FPS more than a 175/185 bullet they give on windage, at least calculated. You have to pack a lot of powder in a 308 to get them up there. In a short barrel you will probably run out of barrel before you get them to a velocity that gives advantage.