• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 .308 bore cleaning method

BJKrauel

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2010
Illinois
Sorry Guys, I am new to this site and am sure this has been a worn out subject....But I need some opinions on cleaning methods. I have been an LEO sniper for 3 years and used to always use the chemical cleaning method only. Now that I have a new Lilja barrel I am finding my method of cleaning has different effects. If someone can point me to the correct Forum? I searched without luck. Otherwise we can start a new one.

Thanks for any help

Re: Remington 700 .308 bore cleaning method

use a dewey cleaning rod nylon coated
bronze brushes from dewey w/ brush adapter.
Parker hale jag style or regular style from dewey

dewey bore guide for cleaning from the breach/recceiver

this is the setup i use

solvent kroil bore cleaner(orange can) get the small can it makes it easier to use. the nozzle on the can makes using the kroil to easy

cotton patch
regular gun oil

you can order all of this directly from dewey it was actually easier and cheaper to order directly from them.

Thanks handym3000,

I have just been reading the hot thread for barrel break-in procedures. Lot of interesting opinions on there and some good data. I always use a dewey cleaning rod with jag, pro shot bore guide, cotton patches and butches bore shine. Sometimes a copper solvent. I would clean the barrel till I could get absolutely nothing on the exiting patches. Never used a brush. This would take me an evening of revolutions after training days. That worked great with my factory barrel but it messes my cold bore up with this lilja. After 3 or 4 rounds I am usually back on point of aim point of impact again. What do you think?

Check out the sticky in this forum "...Barrel Break-In".

It's now 3 pages, and there is some excellent info on cleaning, burnishing, etc.

BJ,

Make sure to get all of the oil from the bore before your CCB. Patch it a couple of times with alcohol, then a dry patch and run a test.

Good Luck, let me know it you try it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That worked great with my factory barrel but it messes my cold bore up with this lilja. After 3 or 4 rounds I am usually back on point of aim point of impact again. What do you think?
</div></div>

I think you will find this is normal with a barrel that is really clean. I dont think a "cold bore" has much effect at all compared to a "clean bore".

BJ, I shoot a very clean barrel every cold bore and have very little to no poi change , I do however oil my bore w/ Butches gun oil (lightly) and then as variable541 said dry it before shooting. That works well for me, however you could try just not cleaning untill accuracy dropps and the refoul the bore. My ocd just will not let me do it ... yet Im working on it. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BJKrauel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry Guys, I am new to this site and am sure this has been a worn out subject....But I need some opinions on cleaning methods. I have been an LEO sniper for 3 years and used to always use the chemical cleaning method only. Now that I have a new Lilja barrel I am finding my method of cleaning has different effects. If someone can point me to the correct Forum? I searched without luck. Otherwise we can start a new one.

Thanks for any help </div></div>

Cleaning

Check your email as well.

One thing I will say is I don't like Dewey rods. I had one and never was impressed with it. I later upgraded to a Tipton carbon fiber one and man have I been impressed. It's been amazing and I like it a 1000x better than the Dewey. My problem with the Dewey is the coating lasted about 3 cleanings then started wearing off. The Tipton doesn't have a coating to wear off.

+1 for the Tipton rod. I have also made some shorter rods from carbon fiber arrow shafts. The thread pattern for the point inserts is the same for most cleaning brushes.