• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 .308win build. Ideas please!

Patbower9

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2013
Southern California
Okay so I got a Remington 700 SPS Varmint ADL package chambered in a 308 cheap from my local Turner's. Everything on it is still vanilla as I've been wanting to build my own unique rifle, and I figured that the ADL was a great place to start. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for an aftermarket stock/chassis assembly? Really any good build ideas will work. I want something that will turn heads at the range, but I do not want to sacrifice any functionality. Also, any scope suggestions? My local outdoor range goes up to a thousand yards, so anything that will help me touch close to that. Thanks a bunch for your input! Any suggestions are appreciated.

I got one of these:
XLR Industries | evolution

They are awesome for letting me pose and attract an audience at my local range. If you want to go to 1000, you might want to use this to polish the inside of your factory barrel:
FF kit 308 cal - David Tubb

Then you reload with 175 grain match bullets (SMKs, Nosler Custom Comp, Lapua, Berger Hybrid) with Lapua/Nosler brass to go the distance.

As for scopes, there are many fine choices for long range. For the *cough* lower price points, you got the SWFA HDs, Bushnell Tacticals, Vortex Razor, IOR, Leupold, and Nightforce NSX. For the higher price points, you can go March, Premier, Steiner, Nightforce F1's, S&B's, Trijicon TARS, and Hendsolts.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the response! I do like that chassis, I'm just looking for ideas right now.

I really like the tactical look, and if the performance is good I'll definitely give it a look. I also have to look into that polish, looks like a good product! A far as ammunition, I do reload my own and I've been doing 180 grain so far and that seems to be working, but I'll definitely give 175 a try. Thanks for the feedback CanPopper!

Manners MCS-T stock, Rem Varmint taper 1-11 cut rifled barrel, PTG Bisley reamer. Top it off with a NF 5.5x20 and go shoot!

Buy a good scope/rings, have the trigger nicely adjusted and spend the rest of your money on ammo.

I got an SPS Varmint in ..308 with 26" heavy barrel a few years ago. I had it bedded in a Bell and Carlson Medalist A5 stock, mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP scope on it using Leupy STD rings and bases and adjusted the X-Mark Pro adjustable trigger. That's all...and it shoots like a house afire (5-shot 100-yard groups consistently <0.75").

FH

I'm a big fan of the Bell and Carlson M40-style stock. It's not that flashy, but it performs well and you can take the funds you save and put them toward a nice scope, mounts, bipod, tactical bolt knob, detachable mags, etc... It also depends on how you want to use the rifle in question. IMHO, the BC M40 is easier to shoot in an off-hand, sitting or kneeling position than a XLR or AI type chassis. That being said, the AI chassis I have used have shot great from the prone.

As far as mounts go, Larue mounts are cool in that they let you take your scope off an put it back on with no POI shift. I've surprised more than a few people at the range by taking my scope off to show it to someone, then putting it back on with no change in performance.

Add a suppressor to anything and heads will turn!

I really like the more modern stocks, but I didn't want a pistol grip and I also enjoy the more 'classic' look. define classic however you want, I just mean the generation of precision rifles based around the standard m24. That, and I didn't have tons to spend on the stock and needed something fully adjustable, so I got an HS Precision. Great look very functional, but might be less apt to turn heads than the stocks like MtnCreeks (which is freakin sweet). Here's a pic of my 700, if you see any features you want to add to yours I can share links and such.

Do you have a budget for the scope?

6906d1368400828-first-post-crop%5B1%5D.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone. To reply to kis2 my budget is a soft 1500, but I'm willing to go above if its necessary for a fantastic scope.

In terms of stocks, I also like some of the classic looks. I'm liking the m40 style B&C stocks but I also really like the more modern chassis systems. I'm planning on making a trip to a gun club about an hour from my house to try out some of the builds up there to see what feels right to me.

Bradthemarine I checked out those mounts to an I definitely like them, that's something I'll seriously look into investing in.

I was talking to a good friend who has been making his own builds for quite some time and he was explaining to me that when you put the time and care into a unique build people will notice it anyway.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, I've got some really nice ideas in mind!

Definitely take a look at some nightforce around that price range. youd probably still be SFP, but they are great scopes. I don't know tons on the SWFA brand, but they seem to have some good FFP options around that price range. Just something to consider, but you are only about $500 from like USO territory, might consider saving a bit longer and getting into the upper ends.

I'd also recommend if you could get to a competition, you'd have the chance to handle a lot of setups. I was looking at the B&C's, but they seemed kinda unduly heavy to me I guess. Maybe it was just the couple I held though, lots of people enjoy them.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. To reply to kis2 my budget is a soft 1500, but I'm willing to go above if its necessary for a fantastic scope.

In terms of stocks, I also like some of the classic looks. I'm liking the m40 style B&C stocks but I also really like the more modern chassis systems. I'm planning on making a trip to a gun club about an hour from my house to try out some of the builds up there to see what feels right to me.

Bradthemarine I checked out those mounts to an I definitely like them, that's something I'll seriously look into investing in.

I was talking to a good friend who has been making his own builds for quite some time and he was explaining to me that when you put the time and care into a unique build people will notice it anyway.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, I've got some really nice ideas in mind!

Definitely take a look at some nightforce around that price range. youd probably still be SFP, but they are great scopes. I don't know tons on the SWFA brand, but they seem to have some good FFP options around that price range. Just something to consider, but you are only about $500 from like USO territory, might consider saving a bit longer and getting into the upper ends.

I'd also recommend if you could get to a competition, you'd have the chance to handle a lot of setups. I was looking at the B&C's, but they seemed kinda unduly heavy to me I guess. Maybe it was just the couple I held though, lots of people enjoy them.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the input, I've heard great things about USO and that's definitely something I'm willing to do and didn't even think of! Also didn't think of the competitions, there's one at the gun club by me in a couple weeks, I'll give that a try too. Thanks so much for the info, I'll have some great ideas after that and I'll get pics up when I decide.