• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 5R 24" threaded 300 WM

NRAShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Noticed these are available from a number of distributors. Anyone have any experiences, good or bad? Looks like a good value set up with the potetial for uprgrades over time. Good budget rifle. Alternative is to purchase a TRG 42 in 300 mag and have the wife go ballistic. Cost benefit seems reasonable. I realize this is not a GAP or Surgeon, but for now represent a good set up with alot of upside potential. Anyone?

Re: Remington 700 5R 24" threaded 300 WM

they're solid rifles and a great alternative if you can't spend the money for a custom/TRG/AI AW.

Some don't like the ergonomics of the stock, but many aftermarket options exist.

I'm just getting mine finished. Brake, AICS 2.0, Timney trigger.
Been waiting for my son, he just got home on leave,
Will report back ASAP. I can say it's one solid platform
Ie; heavy.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alternative is to purchase a TRG 42 in 300 mag and have the wife go ballistic. </div></div>

Finding a TRG-42 in 300 Win Mag will be a real score these days. Last I heard, SAKO is either not making or not importing them into the USA anymore. Find one used while you still can.

I've been thinking about getting a 5r 300 too (I have the 223). A gun shop down the street has a used one. What would be a good price or a used one. They are asking $950 which is too high, I have seen new ones for a little over $1000.

I have a 5R 300 WM, but it's not the threaded model. The rifle has performed well so far, but 500 yards is the max distance that I been able to shoot with it. I wish I had pictures of my groups, but I don't. The best load that I have found for mine is 185 berger vld's, 70 grains of H4831 SC, CCI BR Primer, Rem Case and OAL of 3.577. This consistently shoots less than 1/2 inch at 100 and several groups close to 1/4 inch. At 500 yards I was shooting between 3 inch to 4 inch groups consistently (all groups were 3 shots). I know this rifle is capable of performing better, but I have been happy with it. I'm planning on getting a few upgrades for this rifle in the future. First thing I'm going to do is put a jewel trigger in it. Then later on I will probably put it in a Accuracy International stock and put a muzzle brake on it.