• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 700 5r and savage 10/110fcp

jdutton24

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
alabama
Ok guys this isn't a which rifle should I buy thread but just an informitive objective based on my opinion since I owned both. First off I bought a 5r. Got it home and man this thing just inspires confidence by the looks alone.I was ready to bust heads at 1k right out of the box! The stock trigger was the absolute worst trigger I've ever squeezed but is adjustable. Although I had adjust it so much the the screw actually got in the way because it was run out so far. Not a fan really but when adjusted it felt pretty good. The stock to me felt akward in a way but nothing too bad. The action... its a 700 need I say more? I load one round in the magazine and bam the cartridge fails to feed. Do this about 20 times and it fails to feed 16/20. The bolt would barely catch the cartridge then glide over it and forcing the ass down and catching the cartridge halfway up the case. Called remington and they sent me a new spring. Installed same problem. The dealer offered me store credit so I got a savage with the h&s precision stock.

When it arrived I opened the box and damn this thing is sexy. Blew the 5r out of the water as far as looks. The stock is VERY comfortable. This thing just feels really natural. Way better than the 5r. The action isn't as smooth as the remington. The bolt is a heavier lift but after working it for about an hour it feels a good bit better and im sure it will get better with use. The trigger is awesome. I've never used an accutriger before and once u depress the blade its crisp and light. By far the best stock trigger
It feeds from a detatchable box magazine and after the remington incident Ill admit I was apprehensive. But without a hitch it feed flawlessly. There were very little marks on the brass from being loaded and unloaded multiple times. The remington marked up the brass severely.

Re: remington 700 5r and savage 10/110fcp

Phone screwed up

In conclusion to anyone that is on the fence between these two I highly recommend the savage. It felt better and the way it feed cartridges seems to be much more smoothly as I feed the slow and ripped a few in there and they went in like a champ. Action isn't as smooth but its not far behind and will get better. Triiger definitely better by a mile on the savage.

These are just my thought and observations. I did not shoot the 5r and waiting on the mounts to shoot the savage so I can't attest to accuracy but im sure they are very close with each other. I hope this helps with people on the fence with these two

My buddy has the savage and I have the 5R. I like both. The only real advantage to the 5R is that EVERYONE has aftermarket parts for it. It's the Chevy of bolt guns!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slivoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy has the savage and I have the 5R. I like both. The only real advantage to the 5R is that EVERYONE has aftermarket parts for it. It's the Chevy of bolt guns!! </div></div>

that is very true. although there is alot of aftermarket support for savage. i think both are fine weapons but im super happy with my savage right now. i cant say enough good things. i know i struggled with this decision and there are quite a few threads discussing these two and i thought i would share my opinions since ive had both.