• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 5R issue

Zmechanic

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2014
Tulsa, OK
So I thought I posted something two hours ago. Never showed up.. Anyway.

I took my new rifle out for a spin this weekend. I am not that experience with target/long range shooting but have done a little bit. I was a little underwhelmed with the rifles performance. This is what I've got:

Remington Tactical Cerakote w/ 5R barrel and BC Medalist stock
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32
Warne 1-piece steel based bedded
TPS SL rings

Alright, so it was only about 40 rnds through a brand new rifle. I sighted it in with cheaper American Eagle 55gr tipped varmint ammo and it shot pretty much all over at 100yds. After about 17 rnds of that I switched to Winchester Match 69gr SMK HPBT.

All of the winchester groups were about like the one below:
IMAG0090_zps18853c32.jpg

That 100yd group measures about 1.4MOA. I noticed most of them were longer in the vertical direction. This started to make me think it was my fault. After I ran out of winchester, i had 3 rnds left in one of the boxes of american eagle. I loaded that up and it put out the following group:
IMAG0091_zps32779eb7.jpg

It's only a 3-shot group, and I couldn't help but think it was more luck than anything. I tried again with American Eagle thinking maybe the barrel just needed to get a bit of fouling in it to straighten up. Everything after that was pretty much all over like the rest of the American Eagle was.

So now I'm left wondering if the rifle is not all I was hoping for, ORRR, I just need more practice. Also, as a recent development, after work today I pulled it back out and started going over it with a fine tooth comb. I found 2 things.
1. There is a small nick RIGHT in the crown. Not in the flat area, but right in the chamfer area where it transitions from groove to crown.
2. There is a substantial burr in front face of the chamber. I thought it was just carbon or something. But nope, checked all my brass from that day and sure enough, big long scratch down them all...

So, what do you guys think should be my next move. I'm not happy about the burr and nick and would rather those be remedied to be sure the gun is performing its best. I have no doubt I have much to learn and improve on, but I don't think those are good to just let lie as is, right?