• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 5R Milspec are they still good rifle

Don-n-Texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2011
Houston now in Denton County
5 or 6 years ago I purchased two 5R Milspec rifles 308 and 223. I paid over 1100 for each of them. Now the price is below 900. Has the quality of Milspec rifles fell off.
The two I have are very accurate and really good rifles.

I’m thinking of getting a Milspec in 300 win mag. Any advice
Does Tikka make a good heavy barrel long distance 300 win mag

I don't know if the quality of the 700 5R has dropped. What I know is that demand for long range rifles sitting in conventional, non-adjustable, non modular stocks has dropped like a rock.

Remington has been so far behind the game, for so long, that I don't think even their "new" 700 PCR or whatever the new chassis rifle is called can help them.

Ruger beat them to market by several years with the RPR and that's just too much market inertia to overcome. Not to mention the fact that Howa, Tikka, and Bergara make precision rifles that are very accurate, reliable, well made, and come with pretty much all the features you need to get started right from the get go.

I mean the 700 PCR doesn't even come with a $50 muzzle brake FFS.

Reactions: waveslayer
I was going to ask about them next. I bought a RPR in 6.5 and the .22 rpr rimfire and the Mark 4 22 pistol all 3 I love the way they shoot.
I going to check out the Harkeye long range.
Do you have Harkeye long range?

It shame they don’t put more in the rifle, they could charge more. If they put a muzzle break on, a bottom metal, a 20 Moa base, and some bedding it could charge 1500 to 1800 at least.

5 or 6 years ago I purchased two 5R Milspec rifles 308 and 223. I paid over 1100 for each of them. Now the price is below 900. Has the quality of Milspec rifles fell off.
The two I have are very accurate and really good rifles.

I’m thinking of getting a Milspec in 300 win mag. Any advice
Does Tikka make a good heavy barrel long distance 300 win mag
I have one I purchased in 2014 I believe maybe 13, it’s like new only 3 actual shots ever fired through the rifle for sighting in that I would sell at a deal! Its a 26 inch non- threaded barrel version with a nightforce picatinny rail on it.

Tree man I would be interested but I am beganing treatment for cancer. I should be ok but I got to Finnish treatment and pay for it. Before I go on with my shooting. And I have to sell my house and move to North Dallas before I get a rifle.

Reactions: tree man
If they put a muzzle break on, a bottom metal, a 20 Moa base, and some bedding it could charge 1500 to 1800 at least.
Have you looked at what the market has to offer today?

There is no way in hell anyone would pay $1500, let alone more, for a 5R with those three things added. Not with the other rifles available today.

A Remington 700 5R is still a great rifle. The 20” .308 I purchased last year is as good a shooter as I could have wanted. It is missing an adjustable stock. So what. Buy some pvc pipe insulation and a roll of vet rap at your local ag store for about $5 and make a cheek riser. LOP isn’t a big deal anyhow. A hinged floor plate is better than box magazines if the rifle is to be used for hunting as well. No it is not a competition rifle.

Reactions: Idaho-5R
It shame they don’t put more in the rifle, they could charge more. If they put a muzzle break on, a bottom metal, a 20 Moa base, and some bedding it could charge 1500 to 1800 at least.

There is a laundry list of circumstances with big Green that would start with "It's a Shame They "
They screwed the pooch on the 68spc and never corrected it, they all but let the 260rem die and in both cases it was shooters and industry partners that fixed the problems and kept those two alive.

If they would just listen to the shooters and make a few changes here and there they would still be at the top.

Remington has recouped all the manufacturing costs of their 5R hammer presses. They should start selling 5R barrels individually.

I just got rid of mine since i got a nucleus. 24 inch (?) fluted threaded barrel in 308. Had some really good results with barnes 175 match burners and even nosler custom comp 190s. Tested a few boxes of FGMM and 175 just barely beat out 168. I've heard ppl having amazing results with the FGMM 185 that uses the juggernauts.

I'm sure they are still fine rifles, but with Bergara's current offerings why would you even bother? I guess if the price was right I'd still pick one up, but they could certainly use some updates.

Have you looked at what the market has to offer today?

There is no way in hell anyone would pay $1500, let alone more, for a 5R with those three things added. Not with the other rifles available today.
No I have not. But I don’t think Remington will do any upgrades. Until I buy a 300 Win Mag then they’ll trick it out.
Anyway I have to be concerned with my heath first.

I have a gen1 in 308 and a gen11 in 6.5 creedmoor. Both shoot very good. I think why the gen11 is selling so cheap is because remington has ceased production on the 5r milspec rifles.

I have a gen1 in 308 and a gen11 in 6.5 creedmoor. Both shoot very good. I think why the gen11 is selling so cheap is because remington has ceased production on the 5r milspec rifles.

How cheap are we talking? I looked recently and was still seeing them around $800.

I think why the gen11 is selling so cheap is because remington has ceased production on the 5r milspec rifles.
Well then it must not be all that desirable. When desirable products are in short supply their price goes up, not down.

I've seen some screaming deals on the green HS precision stocked 5rs. For what its worth; it's always seemed like the PSS and 5r was assembled to a higher standard and has better accuracy. That's not based in any sort of fact, just my experience.
I just picked up a Rem 700 PSS 223 for a trainer and dropped it in a KRG Bravo. It's been fantastic! It's been super easy to load for from 55 grain up to 73. The chamber is cut very reasonably without a mile of throat you typically see in a lower in Rem rifle.
I've seen some stainless 5rs selling right around the $600-700 price point. At that price, it's a very good gamble IMO.