• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag - won't group

douginamherst

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2021
Colorado
I have a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag I bought new in 1994 for hunting. It is stainless steel with the factory synthetic stock. The barrel is the 24" thin sporter.

It has not been shot in 10+ years because I could never get it to shoot well. I was able to get a 3-shot group of <0.5 MOA using 65 gr 4350 with 150gr Nosler BT. This is 2 grains over maximum.

Yesterday I shot some Federal 150gr factory ammo (not premium) and the best it does is 2.5 MOA.

The barrel is free-floated but the action is not bedded.

Any suggestions on why this thing is so finicky?

Thanks,
Doug

Could be a lot of things and probably a combo of them all, but right off the bat its a stock remington. Magnum caliber in a thin sporter barrel, not bedded, action not trued, lower end factory ammo, who knows what the trigger is set at, creep, etc. Also hasn't been shot in 10 years, so did you check scope rings, what glass do you have on it and so on. Basically it is what it is man, you could have a smith give it a face lift.

Reactions: spife7980
Does it have a BDL type of floor plate or is it set up like an ADL?

If it's the ADL type, it's probably the 700 Mountain Rifle Stainless.
It's a very light gun but the one I have really shoots the 140 Ballistic tip and 140 Sierra boat tail very well. It also does not like flat based projectiles.

Maybe it's the ammo, maybe you're out of practice with guns that kick.
I know I have to really concentrate to keep it together with that particular rifle.

Thank you both.

It is the ADL Mountain Rifle. The recoil is not an issue and the trigger is crisp and short.

Here is what I will do.
1. send the scope back to Leupold (3x9 compact) just to make sure
2. pillar bed the action to eliminate the flexible stock
3. have the bolt and action trued
4. start over with the 139gr hornady ammo I have. Once reloading components are available, work a new load.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

I would go about it a little differently

1- check all screws, make sure they are tight and not contacting anything they shouldn't.
2- just change the scope out to another that you know is good. Before sending it back.
3- what stock does it have on it? If it a plastic one, forget pillar bedding. And get a good hs precision. They aren't expensive and they are solid.
4- if you are going to have the action trued?- you should just put a new barrel at that point.

Good luck.

Did you free-float the barrel or did it come that way?
Your combination of skinny barrel and lightweight stock may benefit from bedding pads in the barrel channel that make contact with and dampen the barrel.

I mostly agree with @mcc308
I wouldn't change anything.

Exactly what level of accuracy are you expecting out of that skinny barrel?

In your second paragraph you mentioned a hand load (although it was over maximum as you pointed out) that shot under 1/2".

Why don't you go back to where you had success and try that again?

It makes way more sense than throwing money at it in the hopes of making the sum of its parts somehow better.

My advice.
1. Change the scope.
2. Clean the barrel but don't go smoking the action screws down, especially the forward trigger guard screw.
3. Handload some more Ballistic Tips in either 140 or 150gr weights.
4. Shoot it and smile.

5, 6, 7, And beyond, you just saved a pile of cash.

Remember, pencil thin barrels can shoot very well, but they won't ever be a Benchrest gun.

I have a 700 in 7RM, shot terrible in the plastic stock. Upgraded to a lowly B&C and it shoots half moa when I do my part and likely better