• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 7mm Remington Magnum Advice Needed

oneshotmike

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2017
N.E.
I have a Remington 700 Long Action chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. The gun is on a polymer stock with a standard barrel.
I am thinking of changing out the stock to a chassis, re-barreling the gun with a Bartlein of Krieger 26 inch and adding a muzzle break & a triggertech special trigger. I have been hunting with the gun for the past 10 years or so and think its time for an "update". I am not noticing a lot of commercially available ammo choices for this gun that are very accurate. Some have suggested hand loads, which is something I do not do at this point in time. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the build itself, twist rate, factory ammo choices and any other important info that would be useful? I am enjoying shooting more as a sport than I have in the past and will likely hunt deer in the Northeast US with this or my 308 as well. I would also like to try to run the gun out to 1500 yards at some point this spring, when the weather is a bit nicer.
In the market for a used stock / chassis and a nice piece of glass as well.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I am thinking this is an SPS?

If it is, I threw mine in 7mm RM into a bell and Carlson stock, and shoot Barnes Vor-tx 140gr.

Half MOA gun since that change. Before with more typical hunting types, and the factory stock, it would barely shoot MOA type groups.

A few years ago I took my 60's era model 700 in 7mm Rem Mag and had it converted to 300 Win Mag. I do reload but there's more factory loaded ammo options for the 300 WM.

Hornady makes their Precision Hunter 7mm ammo with 162gr eld-x bullets. would be a great option that is accurate and not terribly over priced.

Yes I did. Was a take off stock, so didn't pay a ridiculous amount for it. Made a huge difference, dont feel the need to rebarrel it at this time.
Was the stock for a Sporter barrel also?
I ask because I have an H&S heavier barrel stock I am thinking of doing the same.

I would personally rebartel it to a 6.5PRC. You can buy loaded factory ammo, or down the road you can load your own. You can “download” it to 6.5CM velocities of a 140gr at 2750-2800, or punch it up to 140 at 2950-3000 and really reach out.
Since you already have a long action, might as well take advantage of it.
There’s the 6.5 SAUM, or 7SAUM or other long action rounds that will really take advantage of today’s modern bullets and powders. No reason not to use the LA to its maximum.

Plus one for Hornady ELDX factory ammo. 1/2”- out of a factory gun for me and the nice thing about a 7mag......you can get factory ammo anywhere.

Was the stock for a Sporter barrel also?
I ask because I have an H&S heavier barrel stock I am thinking of doing the same.

I believe it has a larger barrel channel. May be able to grab a photo this weekend if I get the time. 20 hours of driving to do this weekend

ok … well thanks for the advice. I ordered a bartlien heavy varmint contour barrel, in 8.7 twist set for 26 inches, in 7mm rem mag as well as a Remington 700 SS long action. Local smith will be putting it together and truing the action, chambering barrel, new bolt knob and threading for a new muzzle brake. Looking to put it in a MPA competition chassis...…. looking forward to this coming together.