• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 "A" serial numbered action?

Heatseeker

Private
Minuteman
Hell again ... I have an "A" serialled Remington 700 action I will be using for a .223 project:

MT2_1297-1.jpg

I have two questions:

1/ Are these earlier actions the same dimensions as other 700 short actions, and will all pictatinny rails fit them?

2/ What are those two screws towards the rear of the action for?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Remington 700 "A" serial numbered action?

the screws are for an olympic rear sight mount, like a 40x. not sure on the receiver dimensions, your answer will be along shortly.

Generally, you may want to 'blot out' the last few digits of the serial number.

This way, nobody can create issues for you, I'm told.

I never understood the blotting out the serial number, can someone explain why it is so important?

I have an "A" series receiver, and run a standard 20 moa rail, as well as CDI BM in a manners stock , everything works great..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reelman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never understood the blotting out the serial number, can someone explain why it is so important? </div></div>
Just kind of prudent not to do, would you list your cars VIN or your SSN?

Someone can claim their Rifle was stolen and give the Cops the S/N and then claim they found it on the net.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone can claim their Rifle was stolen and give the Cops the S/N and then claim they found it on the net. </div></div>

So someone's going to report this rifle stolen and then demand it from me in Australia when all the while I can document who has owned it for the past 30 years and even prove when it was imported in to the country?

I don't think that's going to happen, and if I post a photo of my car I won't be obscuring the licence plate.

tin foil

The "right" people in the "wrong" frame of mind may/could have access to the intel.(in the "states" for the most part)and could get your addy real quick........And rip you off !!
This is more of an issue with handguns(USA)than longguns.
Respectfully,
LG

A prefix serial numbers and older rifes have a slightly different rear bridge height than newer rifles. Although not many people seem to worry about it.