• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing remington 700 action ??? No prefix!!

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I just bought a real nice 95% + condition remington 700 bdl in 243. The rifle's action has no prefix in the serial number. The way i understand this is an older receiver. Maybe from the 60's. I was doing a bit of reading and read were the scope mounts of today will not fit properly on the older receivers. Something about needing shimmed from the back to the front?? This rifle i bought already has a 2 piece mount, so maybe i dont need to worry about any of this. I bought the rifle for 350 bucks and of course i bought it for the action and bdl bottom metal. I hope this turnes out to be a nice rem 700 receiver. any thoughts on the scope mounts?? Thanks lee

Re: remington 700 action ??? No prefix!!

Nice find!

I recently sold a long action 700 with a 5-digit, no prefix SN. Had big plans for it but something else came up.

The rear bridge of the receiver on that vintage action is .017 lower than more modern models. Hopefully someone else will chime in as to what year the change was made.

I wouldn't trust that the bases on it are correct as more than one person has failed Mounting Optics 101 and ruined good optics. Best bet would be to use two alignment bars in the rings before any optic to verify they align properly. If they aren't, bed or shim the rear to bring it into spec.

Remington raised the rear bridge on its 700 actions in 1974 in order to accomodate the new anti-bind bolt feature.

Roughly speaking, the 1974 ser. nos. would start somewhere in the 6,70X,XXX range.

suggest you rad the thread on building an M40A1 in the rifles section. If it is a 6 digit receiver in the correct range, the value may be more to a potential builder.

IF not you have a wonderful piece of history back when Remingtons were glass smooth. Having had several of this era I would assume it be accurate as well.

this is my first post on the HIDE, i just took my first ever Remington 700 to my gunsmith and he had some interesting news for me. I had taken this to his for the bolt sticking when cycling the bolt. well turns out its a 1974 receiver with a 665XXXX seven digit serial number. But i called Remington today and they told me it dates 1974. which kinda cool cause it just before they raised the bridge to make room for the anti-bind bolt. so now i am left trying to figure out what month it was made in.