• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing REMINGTON 700 ACTION SPECS?

Re: REMINGTON 700 ACTION SPECS?

Hey Thanks DogboneS.

The full dia is 1.35" +/- ?"

I didn't see what the rad is on the somewhat flattened out section for the rear of the action/scope base area (why did they do that).
Does anybody have this info handy?

I am working on a scope base and I need the spec and factory tolerance so that what I turn out will fit the factory actions.

Thanks.

The rear of the action is lowered for aesthetic reasons only.. To make the rear of the action more streamlined.. more pleasing to the eye.. I believe it is .122 lower than the front of the action.. but i dont know what the curve, radius is..

The latest Savage actions did away with doing this.. they are now full dia. at the rear..

One time i was making a radius cutting tool, for putting a radius on one end of an aluminum bedding pillar.. i measured a couple Rem 700 actions.. They were 1.350 in dia. but one action actually flared out .005 where the barrel was over torqued at the factory.

I have a brass diopter radius set where I work, to check a lens radius. I fit a few radius on the back of my 700. 2.086" radius is a little too big and 1.982" radius was a little too tight. The template that fit, was not labeled, but my guess it was 2.0" radius.

Here is a cut away of a Factory Remington 700 .22-250 chamber. It obviously had been used. It was off of a rebarreling job that I did, I used the forward part of the barrel and made a 1/2 MOA AR-15 barrel out of it.

Notice the ring at the beginning of the chamber, it was stamping my brass making it look like partial case head separation.

DSC03893.jpg

DSC03888.jpg

DSC03886.jpg