• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 ADL Tactical?

mik233

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2017
OREGON
hey yall, new to the form and mainly bolt guns other than the occasional hunting trip with my 243. (mainly shoot AR & AK) but I was in the market for a 308 bolt gun that I can use for deer hunting and longer range shooting, and happened to stumble upon a Remington 700 ADL Tactical at Field and stream for a decent price (under 450 with Mail and rebate and on sale) .

Its marked Remington 700 on the action, but has a 20 inch threaded full profile barrel like a AAC-SD mode. the stock that comes with the rifle is a FDE VTR stock. I cannot seem to find out any information about this gun on Remington's website or anywhere else. Does anyone have any info on it? I know almost nothing about Remington 700's so any info helps.
the SKU on the rifle is 85457 if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
What exactly are you looking to find out?

All 700s are pretty much exactly the same aside from action length and bolt face which is caliber dependant. If its a 308 it will be a short action with a .47 bolt face. Since its threaded I would be lead to believe that it is a 10 twist barrel so you should be able to shoot pretty much any ammo weight your heart desires, the slick varmints have a 12 twist and you top out with right about 175 gr bullets to remain stable.

The stock will be fine to start with but not good or great. Definitely enough for someones first venture into a bolt though. 99% of them out in public are still in the factory stock. The trigger will be fine but it will also suck comparatively compared to an aftermarket but definitely not enough of a hindrance to make it unshootable. Most rem 700s still have the factory trigger. Just around these parts we like to hot rod so anything not at the pinnacle of performance is considered crap lol.

Under 450 sounds like a good deal.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
I Just was curious if there was a significant difference with this rifle compared to just a normal 700 since i couldnt find any specs on it. it is in 308, and I ended up picking it up. I will most likely swap out the stock eventually, but im just trying to do one thing at a time. Thank you for your response! I couldn't find anything on the manufacturer website so i figured id ask here.

I couldn't find anything on the manufacturer website so i figured id ask here.

The reason for that is because it is probably a Dicks / Field&Stream exclusive that Remington made just for them. That is how I got into LR shooting about 8yrs ago. I bought a 700 26" Varmint 308 from Dicks I eventually changed the trigger out and placed it into a Choate Tactical stock it would group well at 100yds with 168s, but with the 1-12 twist rate on the barrel it wouldn't stabilize 175s at 600yds or more.

The reason for that is because it is probably a Dicks / Field&Stream exclusive that Remington made just for them. That is how I got into LR shooting about 8yrs ago. I bought a 700 26" Varmint 308 from Dicks I eventually changed the trigger out and placed it into a Choate Tactical stock it would group well at 100yds with 168s, but with the 1-12 twist rate on the barrel it wouldn't stabilize 175s at 600yds or more.

That makes sense, and I didn't even think about it like that. I think it will do for now, and eventually ill either switch things up on it, or buy a new rifle. But like i said im just getting into bolt guns so it seems like it will be a decent first timer gun. I mainly shoot my AR/Aks, and haven't ventured too far into the bolt world but just been having an itch for a new gun to mix things up.

I just got mines as well, and just realized it does not have the Xmark Pro trigger on it. Did anybody else notice this? I called Remington and they mentioned that it did but I'll have to call back and make sure. But it is a 1-10 20" heavy threaded barrel so I'm happy about that.

I know you would probably say its garbage anyway and just replace it. But, I wanted to get the most of out this rifle before making any upgrades.

Since youve already said that I wont bother but a lot of people preferred the old style to the xmp. Run what you brung and if you find it lacking yourself then you know what to do. I myself hate the xmp and I dont think youll miss it too much.

Since youve already said that I wont bother but a lot of people preferred the old style to the xmp. Run what you brung and if you find it lacking yourself then you know what to do. I myself hate the xmp and I dont think youll miss it too much.

thanks for the advice, will definitely try it all it first regardless if it is adjustable or not. Only thing I will be adding off the back if a KRG Bolt Lift and a Harris bipod and some glass from Vortex for sure.

The old style Remington trigger is adjustable for pull weight and over travel, via 2 screws on the front of the trigger housing. Many consider it superior to the xmp trigger that replaced it. Note that monkeying with the screws voids any warranty that came with the rifle, and can render your rifle unsafe to operate if you do not know what you are doing...

Maybe a picture would help? Is it the 40x trigger? They put it in some of the LTR and XCR tactical models. The XCR tactical models have "Remington 700 Tactical" on the side of the action.

I purchased one of these while Field and Stream had their 25% off everything. I got mine in 6.5 creedmoor with a 24" threaded barrel in the FDE stock. I have since done some upgrading and here's what she looks like now.

Remington 700 Action
24" threaded barrel chambered in 6.5 creedmoor with Dead Air Break for my Sandman-L
Timney Trigger
Grayboe Renegade stock black with gray webbing
PTG Stealth M5 Bottom Metal
Magpul magazines
Seekins Precision 20moa base
Seekins Precision Med-High .92 30mm rings
Scope will be either Nikon Black X1000 or a Vortex HST
Harris Bipod

I plan on installing a few flush cups in the stock and bedding the action.

Below are before and after photo's FDE stock is before upgrades other is after upgrades

Attachments

• photo85812.jpg
    photo85812.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 199
  • photo85814.jpg
    photo85814.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Reactions: Ddglock19
Hello to all, new to this forum, but a veteran shooter. I am in process of purchasing this rifle, in 6.5 creedmore.
This caliber seems to have taken off pretty well, and the promoters did this one right. Great factory ammo, lots of gun options, correct twist, the list goes on and on.
Looking for any feedback anyone may have on this rifle, in 6.5 creedmore. Thanks in advance. Can't wait.

I'm picking one of these up tomorrow (.308) 20" but I too cannot find anything online about them. Thanks for the information, y'all. I do appreciate it.

I've weeded out the HST due to the fact it has wire reticle. The Nikon and Vortex PST lines have glass etched.

I also see you're stalking me from Texas Bow Hunter Forum. hahahaha

Wire reticle, really?
Im going to go right ahead and call bullshit on that statement!

For the money, I have found that the HST scopes are quite capable. Sure they cant compare to my Schmidt & Bender but then again, not much else can.

Wire reticle, really?
Im going to go right ahead and call bullshit on that statement!

I never said they weren't capable. But when you have a wire reticle versus a glass etched, higher recoiling guns could have issues with it. I've seen this first hand. Not with the HST line of optics but with other wire reticles. Unless something's changed with manufacture they were wire reticles when first released.

The ADL tactical was a Dicks/Field and Stream exclusive. I couldn't find anything about them either when I researched. Took a gamble and bought the 6.5 24" from Dicks since the cost was so low. I got lucky and the thing can shoot. I had a Rem 700 AAC--SD .308 20" previous that was a dog. Even with match factory ammo and handloads I couldn't get it to shoot better than 2-3 MOA. It drove me nuts trying to figure it out and I swore off Remingtons after that, but I took a chance on that ADL tactical. Figured for the cost it couldn't be that bad and if it was a dog I got a donor action out of it. I'm happy with that 6.5 ADL tactical. Consistent .75 MOA with Hornady match 147gr when it was bone stock. I did drop it into a Magpul Hunter stock and upgraded the trigger and saw a small improvement in groups. It did not come with the X-mark pro. I believe it was just the X-mark trigger. it lacked the two set screws like the x-mark pro and only had one set screw on it.

Last edited:
I guess I've been lucky as hell on Remington's lately. I have a AAC-SD in 308 and it's a sub MOA gun all day long. The 700 ADL Tactical in 6.5 is also a sub MOA gun. The 308 will lay down 5 shot 100 yard groups you can cover with a dime. The 6.5 I'm still working out a load but It's about a nickle size group at 100 yards. I can't complain with either. NOW I have replaced triggers in both with Timney's and beaded them in better stocks but other than that the action and barrel's are stock.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
I got one ,
Pretty sure as stated in other posts it was a bulk buy for one of the big retail places ,, but a bunch of them made their way to Australia so i got one in 6.5 Creedmoor ,
Stock is junk , So much flex and pretty much you can just keep screwing the action screws in crushing the stock
Trigger is JUnk ,, super heavy and isnt really adjustable at all
700trig2.jpg

BUT i was surprised with the Accuracy from the action and barrel so i dropped in a Calvin elite trigger and a Bravo stock
Can shoot 1/2 MOA at 200 Now (with hand loads )
in so happy with the action that i will be getting a proof barrel towards the end of the year so i can get my smith to get the chamber right for my load in a constricted Mag feed system
KRG2.JPG