• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 and Surgeon actions

SpookM14

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Mountain West
I saw a stock on eBay that was designed for a Remington 700 action but according to the description it said it was bedded to a Surgeon action. I was wondering how much of difference there was between the 700 action is to the Surgeon. I know very little about Surgeon action so im not sure if there was a model that was similar that would closely fit the Remington. So my real question is how easy would it be to remove the bedding material and have it fit back to the Remington. It seems like a good deal especially with the bottom metal.

The 591 will work in conjunction with any stocks made for the Remington 700 short action with little to no modification as well as triggers and feeding systems.

That's directly from surgeons website. The surgeon action was designed with the same footprint as the rem 700. Meaning they fit the same stocks. Any stock designed for a 700 - a surgeon should work with.

Just as a heads up a factory Remington has a receiver diameter of about 1.36 inches whereas most custom receivers including Surgeon have a diameter of 1.35 inches. The bolt handle and tang are also a bit different so I would say if the stock is bedded for a Surgeon it will be a bit tight for a factory Remington receiver.

-Kyle ~ XLR

If you buy this stock, I recommend you send it and your barreled action to a gunsmith to have it re-bedded

Yeah LCDR I would like to go with a heavier contoured barrel than the one I have currently as well as have it fluted just for cosmetic reasons.