• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 barrel countour questions

wolf6151

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Pearland, Tx.
On a Remington 700 ADL/BDL in 7mm Rem. mag. what is the outside diameter of this barrel at the muzzel and what barrel contour name/number is this barrel? Would this be considered a #4 Magnum Sporter contour? I'm looking to put a barrel on a Sako A5 action, probably 25-06, and would like to be able to take this rifle hunting and would like something slightly heavier than the contour used on a Rem. 700 in 7mag.. I'm considering a #5 Lightweight Varmint that would add a little more beef to the barrel yet still be light enough to carry/walk. Any suggestions, all advice is appreciated. Thanks.

My choice would be a Kreiger Bull Sporter which would be .700 dia. at 26". Very shootable and not to heavy to carry. Here's a pic of mine cut at 22". Shoots great and is a joy to carry. Comes in at 9.25 lbs. ready to roll. Your barrel is .650 to .670 at the muzzle and is a #3 contour I believe.

Regards,
Paul

Picture066-1.jpg

Last edited: