• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 bolt question

Jsz762

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2019
Does anyone know if the bolt face of a 223 (.378) can be opened up to a 224 Valkyrie(.422)?
Thanks for any info

From what I’ve read, 90% sure it would need to be replaced. Hopefully someone will chime in with more expertise than me.

Yes it's possible. You need to change the extractor to a M16 style to do it cleanly.

There's a few 'smiths here who can do it as a service.

Thanks for the info!! I do have a couple smiths locally who can probably do the work. I’m not sure if they have ever done anything like this before, so I figured I would ask here first. If they are unable to do the work I will reach out to a smith on here. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info!! I do have a couple smiths locally who can probably do the work. I’m not sure if they have ever done anything like this before, so I figured I would ask here first. If they are unable to do the work I will reach out to a smith on here. Thanks again!

I would invite you to look at our service and judge for yourself. After doing this kind of work for a couple of decades I've come to learn that certain problems begged to be solved and it's what lead me to the process we now have here at LRI.

Happy to help.

My opinion based on 28 years in this trade:

There are 2 types of firearms enthusiasts. Those who have been fucked by PTG and those who will be.
I’ve had work done by you guys and it’s quality work I was just excited that they had a bolt face that would work since it’s such a unique build.

Last edited: