• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 700 bolt sticking....help

sandman2004

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Mooresville, NC
Ok heres a difficult situation to pose........ I have a remington 700 5R, the bolt is tight on opening, even after dry firing. It seems as though something is rough in the bolt/firing pin area. I oil it and it smooths for a few cycles then grows tighter. Any ideas? I have had the bolt apart numerous times and lubricated it. Still goes back to tight after a few cycles. Any help would be appreciated. Its probably something silly that a rookie like me is missing, but I know there are more than a few experienced shooters that can lend some insight. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: remington 700 bolt sticking....help

Did you inspect the firing pin/spring for any binding, defects, etc?

What about the trigger assembly particularly where the bolt cocks the firing pin?

I take it that this is a new rifle?

What does the spring look like.Is it kinked in an "s" or straight. If its kinked, the spring is rubbing on the inside of the bolt. This could cause the problem your having.

You need to use a high temp/pressure gun grease on all cocking surfaces like the red shooters choice gun grease. Oil isn't going to last long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to use a high temp/pressure gun grease on all cocking surfaces like the red shooters choice gun grease. Oil isn't going to last long. </div></div>

+1

That red shooters choice grease is good stuff. I also use Mil-comm grease with good results.

Thanks guys. The spring is straight. Yes the gun is fairly new, this just popped up yesterday at the range. When it started I thought it was a pressure issue but the cases, primers etc all looked good so I just packed things up for the day. When I got home and noticed it on dry firing I knew something was up. Thanks for all your input and insight. Going today to hopefully find some shooters choice grease.

I encountered this same problem recently while building my own rem 700 rifle. I swapped the stock firing pin and shroud with the Callahan speedlock unit from midwayusa. of course I cleaned everything completely and re oiled with remoil lightly as I had been taught for years and reassembled. upon first racking the action I was appaled at the effort and grinding feeling I was experiencing!!! Yikes, what was wrong?? It turns out that my cleaning had removed the old (7 years) oila nd grease that lubricated the cocking mechanism where it meets the bolt body. The new metal surafaces were "galling". This occurs when some types of metal rub together without proper lubrication especially stainless and high nickel alloys.

Long story short, use a high pressure grease appropriate for guns and you should be ok! Hoipe this helps.

New here by the way!