• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 bottom metal delima

dyna962007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
STL MO area
looking to install a detachable mag set up on my 700.
Lots of choices of bottom metal, some of which require inletting and
some are a drop in fit supposedly.
Some use standard AI mags, and some use proprietary mags which they claim
in some cases to be better than the AI's.
SIngle stack, double stack, 5 round, 8 round, 10 round?
How the length of mag works with a Bipod shooting position.
Some very expensive and some rather affordable.
Please offer up some thoughts on this please based upon the following weapon and thanks, mike

Remington 700 Stainless barrel 26”
5R Mil-Spec .300 Win. Mag.
1:10 right hand twist.
Every round down this rifle has been documented.
Blue-printed by a competent gunsmith.
Muzzle Break by Center Shot Rifles,
Nightforce 20 moa picatinny rail,
Millett illuminated reticule, 35mm tube, 6-25 x 56mm scope.
HS Precision stock M-24 PSY-014
Badger Ordnance recoil lug.
Kinetic Research Bolt Lift knob.
Bedded with Marine-Tex by a competent gunsmith.
This rifle is a 1/2 moa shooter with 210 Bergers.

I used to run the Wyatt's setup on my 223 rem bolt gun and it was a drop in fit on a bell and carlson medalist stock. I had no issues with feeding or anything but I did find the magazines difficult to load. The follower would tilt while trying to insert rounds. Overall though, it was a pretty solid setup.

Ptg makes some affordable options. Problem will be making it worthwhile. 10 round 300 wm magazines are not as easy to come by when I'm looking. That said I think most of the Ai style mags will need to be inletted. Not a huge ordeal.

The other thing I would consider is the length of your reloads and if they will fit the mags. Might need to rework the load slightly if you need to seat deeper for the mags. Not a big deal but something to consider as well.

I just finished installing the M5 Stealtg setup from Stocky's Stocks. It was less expensive then the PTG and came with choice of 10 or 5 rnd mag, they had an online sale at the time. 10 rnd come with AI mag and 5 rnd is AM mag. Quality seems good, I wouldn't be surprised if PTG makes the bottom metal for Stocky's. Im satisfied with it.

Those 10rnd mags are TALL! If you plan to shoot pron I would recommend using a 5rnd mag.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I've never had any issues shooting prone or on a bench with the 10rd mags. I'm sure others have but I have not. But I also don't do tactical shoots most of my stuff is backyard or ranges.

How does the 10 round length compare to a 20 round m14 mag? I shoot an m14 and am building a long action 308. Might eve tally go with a dm setup for that too...

Buy yourself an XLR element chassis and a 300WM AICS or Accurate Mag. Sell the HS precision stock and BDL.

Or, send the rifle to CDI precision and have Jeff install a DBM kit w/ mag.

If you like the HS stock and intend on keeping it, send it to badger and have them do the inlet. Real quick turnaround, usually in a week. Their website has order and shipping form. I have had 3 rifles converted and and am well satisfied.

important question

Say can you clarify please, the M5 from Stocky's does not require inletting is that correct?
Is that true for as remington factory stock only or is it true for an HS stock also?
And you mentioned the Stocky's m5 uses AI mags in the 10 round but what are you saying about the 5 round? Wouldnt that too be AI?
I know the M4 from Stocky's is actually a Wyatt set up but not sure who makes the M4

I just finished installing the M5 Stealtg setup from Stocky's Stocks. It was less expensive then the PTG and came with choice of 10 or 5 rnd mag, they had an online sale at the time. 10 rnd come with AI mag and 5 rnd is AM mag. Quality seems good, I wouldn't be surprised if PTG makes the bottom metal for Stocky's. Im satisfied with it.

Those 10rnd mags are TALL! If you plan to shoot pron I would recommend using a 5rnd mag.

The M5 does require inletting, same inlet profile as the PTG and Badger bm. The 5 rnd mag is a Accurate-Mag brand mag., 10 rnd is AI. I did forget to mention this is for the .300 WM mags. http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-610/M5-Stealth-DM-M24/Detail

As far as the M4 style DBM I believe that is a Wyatt's or Wyatt's clone and will not accept AI or A-M mags.

I suggest emailing their customer support, they answered my questions with in about 2hrs on a Friday around lunch time hours.

Last edited:
This is a Ptg military style, no inletting required. I have a few hundred rounds through it with no problems.
5fd9e28bd46040b15f512e7d26ab5972_zps1b1d5571.jpg

Reactions: DRAGON64
The M5 does require inletting, same inlet profile as the PTG and Badger bm. The 5 rnd mag is a Accurate-Mag brand mag., 10 rnd is AI. I did forget to mention this is for the .300 WM mags. http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-610/M5-Stealth-DM-M24/Detail

As far as the M4 style DBM I believe that is a Wyatt's or Wyatt's clone and will not accept AI or A-M mags.

I suggest emailing their customer support, they answered my questions with in about 2hrs on a Friday around lunch time hours.

Wyatt's system uses proprietary magazines.