• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 bottom metal latch spring issue in reassembly

Pvt. Joker

Rifleman
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2017
North Central Florida
I took my bottom metal apart and removed the wrinkle finish. I painted it with some nice flat black epoxy paint. Everything looks great and went back together EXCEPT I can't get the latch spring back in.

Any help will be appreciated as I can't find anything on YouTube..

Assuming this is an AICS pattern bottom metal are you saying you painted it without removing the latch ?
If so remove the latch check to make sure you don't have any paint build up in places that would prohibit free movement of the latch or prevent the spring from setting in the pocket evenly and reassemble.

Assuming this is an AICS pattern bottom metal are you saying you painted it without removing the latch ?
If so remove the latch check to make sure you don't have any paint build up in places that would prohibit free movement of the latch or prevent the spring from setting in the pocket evenly and reassemble.
The rifle is a Rem 700 SPS .223 varmint barrel. I completely dissassembled the bottom metal, took the finish off with zip paint remover, brushed it, cleaned with acetone, let dry and sprayed a light coat of finish. All pin holes are open eveything fits together, I can't figure out how the spring goes back in the release latch.

The rifle is a Rem 700 SPS .223 varmint barrel. I completely dissassembled the bottom metal, took the finish off with zip paint remover, brushed it, cleaned with acetone, let dry and sprayed a light coat of finish. All pin holes are open eveything fits together, I can't figure out how the spring goes back in the release latch.
If I had a pic of how the spring is installed or looks after installation I'd be ok. I can't find anything on the net or YouTube. My next option is the gunsmith who is about 70 miles away.

Just going off of memory but I don't recall the BDL being any different than an AICS with a latch.
It's just a simple single pivot design with a spring return.

Great info but I need either a pic or detailed instruction on how to do it.

I'm off to the smith this morning as I need my rifle for a match tomorrow.

Problem solved, my smith fixed it in 5 minutes, no charge.
A bit of a drive but took the wife with me , had a nice lunch together.
I also spoke with him about my next project, an M40 exact replica in .308. We're going to discuss barrel choices in the next couple of weeks.
He did some LD shooting while in the sandbox and was also an armorer after his tours.
The guy knows Remingtons like the back of his hands.