• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 cdl as a sniper rifle??

Rude Robert

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2011
CA
Okay, I am sure this has been asked, so I am not trying to be funny. Can this rifle be used and if so, how far would it be good for. Plus, what makes it not as good as the sniper version of the same rifle? Not a serious question, but just curious lol

Re: Remington 700 cdl as a sniper rifle??

Are you a Sniper? What is your MOS?

If you are asking if the CDL can be used for long range target. The issue comes from the sporter countour barrel. After a few shots the barrel will heat up and you will have point of impact shift.

The CDL is a great hunting rifle, classic lines and will do its part in the harvest.

You can use the receiver to build up a long range target rifle, but IMHO its like retrofitting an Escalade to go mudding.

Now if it is an old well worn beater rifle, then sure you can use the receiver as a donor and add a match barrel to it. Depending on your skill level, it may be best to buy an off the shelf heavy barrel rifle and go have fun.

I'm with Senior Chief, It's not the rifle that makes a sniper. A sniper behind it makes it a sniper rifle. Any rifle can be pressed into that service. A precision rifle is repeatable in it's POI with minimal shift due to heat from multiple firings. But even the best barrels will have a shift in POI after they have been pushed hard, it's just going to take more rounds to do it.

You hunting people or shooting targets or hunting animals? Do you really know what a Sniper is? Why would you need a sniper rifle?

Hi, it is not whether or not if I know what a sniper is or isn't. It was a question, on if I can currently use mine to shoot out that far for fun and be simi repeatable. My mos, not sure why that matters, but if your interested, I was a lance missile crew member, they change the mos info, but it does not matter either. Under some nato agreement they disbanded my mos because of the great fear it would bring if we used it. I was trained mainly by special forces, because mainly, I was a behind the lines tactical nuke mobile unit. Here in s.cal it is hard to find a range that far unless your in the desert, but even that can be illegal lol.

You need to shoot the gun and see how accurate it is. That will tell you the answer. Then you will know if you have a sniper rifle or not!

Drop the sniper off and replace it with.
A rifle to shoot ( what ever distance. )
Have seen many little rifles surprise the crap out of me.
Go shoot what you have and see how it works for you and work from there.
Good Luck.

Thanks Old... I think I found a place that I can shoot that far while hunting squirrels. I just didnt think about carrying the 06, due to the weight of my ar15 too lol. I will try in next week just didn't know if it would be worth bringing it and dragging around while hunting.

Find a place to stretch out your "target" rifle and shoot the dang thing. Have a buddy that had only a deer rifle in .260rem.
Helped him with reloading and scopes and such.
His second time at longer range he hit 1015 with a 22" pencil barreled rifle.
Making the ammo for the rifle will do a lot for distance shooting.
My .300wm with factory ammo will go all over at 600.
My handloads are getting me on with dial up at 1400.

Sounds like so much fun lol. There is that post about shooting slugs out of a slug barrel out to 1000 yds, I wonder if you can do that with a 28 inch barrel lol. Im going to try and get out there next weekend for sure and bring the ar15 just in case i see a squirrel

The distance they got on was 633 yards. The day I was spotting he hit the steel 2 times out of less than 10 at that range.
They shot it out to 700+ ( I was not there that day ) and were throwing dirt on the target then.
We have shooters in our group that have hit 2000+ and they were having as much fun screwing around with this shotgun as they did getting big numbers.
Once again it is about having fun(safely)and shooting with your buddies.
No dick measuring to speak of.If you ask what my PET LOAD in .338 lapua is I will give you anything I have. As will all those I shoot with. Surround your self with good people and good things happen around you.