• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 detachable mag conversion

dreamlander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
North Dakota, USA
I am going to do some upgrades on my Remington Sendero 300 rum. Mcmillan a4 and trigger tuning are first in order, and a detachable mag would be nice. I was originally going to get a Wyatts magazine box to get the extended oal, but I see they also make detachable version. They are pretty spendy though at $320 plus the smith work. Are there any other options out there?
I am also still contemplating whether I will do anything with the magazine box at all. The rifle already shoots <MOA, but I can't even seat the bullets within .125 in of the lands. Was hoping that seating closer would push accuracy to the next level. Do you think it is worth it?

Re: Remington 700 detachable mag conversion

I would do the Wyatt box conversion for sure. I have the same rifle and with the Wyatt box can now put the 190 Berger on the lands and still feed from the box. Extending the box latitude in any remington is never a bad thing.

Id Skip the DBM if the intended purpose is strickly hunting. Dont see the benefit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The rifle already shoots <MOA, but I can't even seat the bullets within .125 in of the lands. Was hoping that seating closer would push accuracy to the next level. Do you think it is worth it? </div></div>

Seating to the lands, depending the bullet, most of the time will not gain you much in group size. The only thing that is gained from long seating is you can add more powder and speed up the bullet w/o having a pressure issue. Large chambers help that as well.

Everything I own an load for, must feed from a mag no matter who's mag it is. I've learned over time seating OAL does very little, "IF" the load is correct. That said, I've never found a .308win or 300wm that will not shoot my loads into less than moa groups, no matter where the lands are. Same as FGMM, if a/the stick won't shoot it, you better be looking at the stick or shooter. I've spent alot of money learning that fact.

Anyone else think it isn't worth it to seat the bullets closer to the lands? Or know of any other detachable mag conversions besides Wyatts?

Seating the bullet close to the lands usually results in an incremental gain in accuracy at all distances across the rifle's effective range, however results will vary from rifle to rifle.

One question:

-What bullet are you using specifically (make, grain, ogive type?)

Some bullets are more jump sensitive and perform better when seated very close to or into the lands...

Otherwise, bedding the new McM A4 can potentially improve accuracy by .25 MOA all other things equal..

As far as DBM systems go, Badger makes the best, if not one of the best systems out there...well worth saving for.

I have been using Sierra 200 grn GK. Want to start using Sierra 240 grn mk as long as the twist will handle it. The badger definately looks like the way to go. No smith work required! I am just going to get the stock for now and ponder on the DBM.

Wyatts has a new long action bottom metal that should be available about the end of April. It will fit in a standard BDL inlet, the actio would still need to be modified, but it would allow you to go out to a bit over 3.7 OAL.

The long action version we're working on will be the same configueration as the short we're doing, no alterations to the receiver will be needed. It will be as close to a drop in as we can get. We're increasing the thickness of the mag bodies to .040" from the .032" that we use on the .308. This will shorten the OAL about .010" but we still should see a COAL of 3.725". The latch assembly will be the same as the .308. Magazines should feed the 30-06, .284, and belted magnum cases. Our target date is the end of April. Kevin Wyatt