• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 donor rifle quest

Warbone

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
I have been looking for a remington 700 rifle for a donor action to build into a long range perscion rifle. I want to do it as a project not just buy a perscion rifle outright. Ive got a guy that i can get a remington 700 338 win mag that was built in 1961. Im wondering if this action is to old and will give me problems or if i would be something i should use.
Any input out there would be a big help.

more info i am looking to do something in either a .260 remington, 6.5mm creedmore, or 6.5x47L

Last edited:
I am no "smith". But it is my understanding that the older Rem 700 actions had better quality inspections. Some smiths really like building on the "sportsman 78 series. Post again under the gunsmiths! those guys are absolutely awesome about answering questions! i have learned a ton there. Good luck

Trauma1

well it a trade dont really have money to buy something right now.

A long action is not what you want for doing the chambering you're going for. You need a short action. Watch gunbroker. Personally I think it's retarded to work a 700 and not to ahead and replace the bolt with a PTG one piece seeing as they're $200 and a use R700 bolt goes for $150. That's $50 for a straighter smoother bolt that's one piece and you can order in .697 diameter to get a tighter fit but still good clearance, you can't have the factory handle tig welded for that.

I watched a SPS in a oddball chambering with a Jewell trigger go for $460 today. By time you sell the Jewell, the bottom metal, and bolt you'd only have about $50 in the action itself at that price.

Just get an action from Brownells or buy an SPS - i think you can get them for around $400.

I bought an SPS in 243 several years ago and I used it to practice glass bedding on a boyd stock I finished. Learned a lot about bedding with worrying about screwing up. Later I just pulled it apart and build my first precision 260.

ya I was really thinking of selling the ar I have and buying a cheap sps rifle. I think it would be a better way to go than a long action that's 50 years old.

I have been looking for a remington 700 rifle for a donor action to build into a long range perscion rifle. I want to do it as a project not just buy a perscion rifle outright. Ive got a guy that i can get a remington 700 338 win mag that was built in 1961. Im wondering if this action is to old and will give me problems or if i would be something i should use.
Any input out there would be a big help.

more info i am looking to do something in either a .260 remington, 6.5mm creedmore, or 6.5x47L

The action you speak of is a long action magnum bolt face, you need a short action standard (308) bolt face for any of the 6.5s you have listed.

If the price was right I would not necessarily shy away from the long action. I would get the PTG bolt, as others have suggested, and since you're looking at a 6.5 cartridge, I'd consider the 6.5x55 Swede, which takes the long action.

I'd bet you can find yourself a brand new 700 ADL for ~$400. That's what I did for my build. I determined that I "needed" stainless steel, so I paid $440.

Anyway, you want a short-action, standard bolt face (.473" diameter). The old magnum will be long action, magnum bolt face (.532" diameter). there are two action lengths-- short and long, and three bolt faces- .377" (.223, .204, .300 blackout), .473" (.243, .308, .25-06, .30-06), and .532" (7mm mag, .300 win mag etc.). So any short action, std. bolt face action can be rebarreled to .260, 6.5 creed, or 6.5x47.

You technically could use a long action/std. bolt face (.30-06 for example) action, but you may run into feeding issues, and will have a lot of extra space in the magazine well (like 1/2" or more). You will also have issues trying to get a detachable bottom metal system.

Just get an action from Brownells or buy an SPS - i think you can get them for around $400.

I bought an SPS in 243 several years ago and I used it to practice glass bedding on a boyd stock I finished. Learned a lot about bedding with worrying about screwing up. Later I just pulled it apart and build my first precision 260.
Same here. Luckily the 243 is a pretty rocking caliber as well. even with a slower factory twist you can push some pretty high BC bullets at great speeds. I would personally grab a 243. Shoot the barrel out and then decide which caliber to go with after. No use in getting a 338 unless you have the skills and cash to justify a rifle chambered in 5 dollar bills.

I did the same but am just realizing 200 rounds in that I would much rather go for a lefty. I haven't sunk too much money into it, most of what I have, I can likely recoup most. stick with a 243 or a 308 (same bolt face as a 6.5 or 260) shoot it it until you can afford upgrades and by then you will have a better understanding of exactly what you want.

Biggest problem right now will be finding new 700s as most stores don't have then back after the trigger recall. Best bet would be hopefully gently used one.

Last edited:
If the price was right I would not necessarily shy away from the long action. I would get the PTG bolt, as others have suggested, and since you're looking at a 6.5 cartridge, I'd consider the 6.5x55 Swede, which takes the long action.

Now you're talking. Nothing wrong with running a Swede. A long action gives you more latitude for long bullets, and swede components are available though Lapua.