• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 ejection issues?

David Pennington

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I've got a new G series Remington 700PSS in .223 that I've just started playing with as a varmint rifle. The rifle consistently extracts the fired case from the chamber but then fails to eject the case out of the ejection port. The fired case ends up lying on top of the next round in the magazine box or on the follower 95% of the time. Rarely, the fired case will actually eject. The speed of bolt manipulation does not seem to matter in regards to ejection success or failure.

I'm shooting factory Hornady ammunition.

I'm thinking either it's a weak ejector or the extractor isn't holding the case on the bolt face firmly enough to let the ejector get a good push on the case head.

Thoughts? Remedies?

Thanks.

Re: Remington 700 ejection issues?

Check DocEd's theory and clean out under the extractor and maybe even the ejector. Just 'cause its new doesn't mean there can't be junk in it.

Re: Remington 700 ejection issues?

If everything is clean...your ejector needs to stick out further than it is now OR the spring is weak. Push out the ejector pin and you will see a slot it rides in. that slot can be lengthen just a bit and it will make your cases fly out earlier in the ejection cycle. A tiny bit will get you a bunch, so its best if you do it a bit, then test and repeat.