• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 Ejection Port Milling???

wb00757

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Dallas, Georgia
Hi All,
I have a 700 SA that I built and I am having ejection issues. The brass is bouncing off of the side of the rear bridge and being thrown at 1-2 'o clock or not ejecting at all. I did all of the work on this rifle myself and am running a PTG 1 piece bolt with a standard m16 extractor (only good stuff to say about it other than this). This is my only experience with a 700 and I never shot it before I stripped it down and sold off everything but the bare action...

My question is whether anybody had either seen a modified receiver or modified one themselves where there is a relief cut in the side of the rear bridge in line with the ejection path of the brass? I am not afraid to throw it in the mill, but I don't want to butcher it by chasing the wrong solution (if that makes sense).

Thank you,
Chip

I’d check your extractor. I had a Borden action do same thing, there was a small burr on extractor. Once I filed with micro file, it’s worked flawlessly. The burr was under lip of extractor where it grabs the rim of cartridge

Reactions: jetmd
I think you can grind off a small portion of your extractor corner to solve the problem. I can't explain it easily but you should be able to find a pic of what I'm talking about.

Hi All,
I have a 700 SA that I built and I am having ejection issues. The brass is bouncing off of the side of the rear bridge and being thrown at 1-2 'o clock or not ejecting at all. I did all of the work on this rifle myself and am running a PTG 1 piece bolt with a standard m16 extractor (only good stuff to say about it other than this). This is my only experience with a 700 and I never shot it before I stripped it down and sold off everything but the bare action...

My question is whether anybody had either seen a modified receiver or modified one themselves where there is a relief cut in the side of the rear bridge in line with the ejection path of the brass? I am not afraid to throw it in the mill, but I don't want to butcher it by chasing the wrong solution (if that makes sense).

Thank you,
Chip

Chip,

I think I can solve this. See here:

https://www.longriflesinc.com/colle...00s-with-m16-extractors?variant=7560237121600

God Bless you guys! I had already dressed the extractor so it wouldnt bind when holding a shell due to it being just slightly proud of the bolt nose diameter and hit the underside because there was a bur like Steelnecktie said. I went back and polished it up better because I thought that seemed like sound advice. I also gently broke the corners on the underside of the extractor lip so it wouldnt dig in to the brass as it started rotating away from the bolt face. I think this is basically what willicd76 was talking about. I was very gentle and only lightly touched it with an 800grit stone and polished it up to 1500 to reduce drag. It seems like that made a really big difference, so thank you guys!

LongRifles,
Yes I definitely need the dual ejectors! Ejection with unfired ammo it is very weak as it is now. Thank you

I build my action and used a ptg bolt. My ejection port is very small on the right hand side only, the top part of the action is covered. I have a mini m16 extractor and I was having ejection issues. I started taking material out of the top corner of the extarctor. With the mini m16 extractor, it sits to high on the bolt face and tends to trow cases high right. I ended up takin of almost half of the extractor claw until the cases were thrown at almost a 90 degre angle from the bolt body. I have a very light ejector spring so it will put the least amount of side pressure on the cartridge inside the chamber. It's a 6 ppc and it is ejecting just right now.