• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 ejector stuck

scudzuki

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2012
Philadelphia suburbs
After about 10 rounds downrange today the ejector pin in my fairly new (less than 100 rounds down the pipe) Remington 700 bolt got stuck inside the bolt, flush with the bolt face.
I tried to coax it out at the range unsuccessfully, then shot 10 more rounds, digging each round out of the ejector port, before I packed it up in disgust.

At home I opended and closed the bolt a dozen times and it finally popped out.

Is this common?

I was thinking about disassembling the ejector an putting a little chamfer on the face to help it find it's way out in the furture.

Thoughts?

Joe

It's normally a high pressure event or debris that causes them to stick. The villiage idiot for the range occasionally use actually brazed one in place with case material. We never did find the primer.

If you've ruled out debris, I recommend checking the ejector and boltface under magnification before moving forward.

+1

Dirt or brass debris can cause that. You can clean it up and polish it and it may be less prone to do so.

Editorially speaking, it would never happen with a Pre '64 style Winny or clone.

I removed the ejector and spring.
There was a little brass in the hole alongside the ejector.
I'm shooting 42 gr IMR 4895 behind a 168 SMK, not a particularly hot load.

I cleaned it out and lubed it up well before reassembling.

Joe

it's not common but it's not unheard of either. As long as you cleaned out the spring and ejector, you'll generally be fine.

not a bad idea to keep a small tool kit in your range bag- punch, hammer, pick, pliers, hex wrenches, screwdrivers etc. I've only had the same issue once but I had a small kit with me and was able to fix it between ceasefire's.

BTW, it's not a bad idea to keep an extra extra ejector spring and extra extractor on hand...

I could not find any information online on how to do this so I posted this, I hope it helps someone some day.
I forgot that I left a snap cap in my REM700 for a couple of days and went back to my rifle to take it out and noticed that it would not eject the round. I looked at my ejector and noticed that it was seized in the bolt with some type of gunked up old hardened grease around it. So I soaked it in solvent and tried to clean it loose, that did not work, so I punched the ejector pin out and removed the ejector and spring; it was a good thing that I did because there was so much old factory gunk on there. So I thoroughly cleaned the bolt and ejector parts and polished the ejector. when I looked at the old ejector pin I noticed that it was missing some mass and too corroded to re-use so I ordered one replacement pin from Midway USA for about $5, I later order a pack of fifty 420 stainless steel pins from McMaster Carr for $8. After I received all of my pins I could confirm that the McMaster Carr pin has the same measurements as the midway USA pin. I installed the stainless pin and will be returning the Midway pin as soon as I can. If you need detailed instructions on how I did all of this feel free to contact me. After I installed everything I did many function tests with my snap caps and she runs like a champ. As you can tell I am no professional gunsmith do this at your own risk.