• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 extractor question

predatornut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
North Dakota
How often do these fail? I am having trouble with my 5r and after doing some internet research it seems they do fail often enough to become a hassle. Mine has the riveted style so I was thinking of getting the tools to do the job myself or even do the Sako style conversion but wanted to hear from those more experienced than myself beforemoving ahead. Thanks for any input.

Re: Remington 700 extractor question

I have had 700's that fired 1000's of rounds with no issues and I have also had a few with extractor issues. I don't think the 700 has the best extractor setup and most 700's I purchase, I install a sako type extractor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predatornut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How often do these fail? I am having trouble with my 5r and after doing some internet research it seems they do fail often enough to become a hassle. Mine has the riveted style so I was thinking of getting the tools to do the job myself or even do the Sako style conversion but wanted to hear from those more experienced than myself beforemoving ahead. Thanks for any input. </div></div>

I don't have experience with the kind you have, but the mini M16 that came on my bolt works like a champ.

They have been known to fail frequently. you can change to the Sako style, or the AR15 style. I have used them both, and have not had a problem, with several different calibers

I had over 6000 round through the second barrel on my 700 before I replaced it. No idea of the round count on the first barrel.

Like anything mechanical, it can fail. Replacing them with other types of extractors induce a whole new group of problems. IMHO most of this is hype. Hype to give the the gunsmith more work, hype marketing from their competitors (Winchester etc)

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had over 6000 round through the second barrel on my 700 before I replaced it. No idea of the round count on the first barrel.

Like anything mechanical, it can fail. Replacing them with other types of extractors induce a whole new group of problems. IMHO most of this is hype. Hype to give the the gunsmith more work, hype marketing from their competitors (Winchester etc)

Good luck

Jerry</div></div>

+1.

They tend to fail if they've been "massaged" aka, F'd with by someone. When I was running a Remington 700 as my primary match rifle I always kept 2 new extractors in my bag as a spare in case something happened. A multi-tool and spare parts can fix a lot of stuff in a pinch.

I'm not a fan of it and I've seen some fail, but nowhere near as much as the interwebs might suggest.

I, like several others on here, am not a fan of Sako type extractors on 2 lug bolts. They can pose a serious safety risk in the even of a case head failure due to how they need to be positioned in order to work properly.

If you're going to pay for an extractor upgrade like a Sako would involve I suggest going to the Defiance mini-16 extractor instead.

Otherwise, buy 2 new extractors and skip putting the rivet back in, just get the "new style", drill out the old rivet and slip in the new extractor. It will run for thousands of cycles before you have issues and then you already have a spare on hand.

1+ to both the above replies. I've only been shooting Remmy's since 1964, and admittedly I haven't fired as many rounds as some...but I have yet to have one break. Just lucky I guess.

Thanks for the responses. I was wondering if it was more hype like the trigger issues. The store I bought it from is going to take care of it this time, but I will get the tools if it ever happens again.

I have one right now that will not eject, I have replaced ejector and extractor, it will not grab the case and pull it out. If i use my buddy's bolt, it works like a champ. I replaced the ejector myself, sent mine to a smith to have extractor replaced...the riveted type. No bueno, the new one does the same thing the old one did....thinking of going the sako/m-16 route as well....getting tired of dicking with this thing! If anyone has experienced this before or can recommend a smith to do the conversion?

Here is some background on the rifle, it started life as a 7mm Rem Mag, had it re-chambered to 6.5 SAUM, it was shot a few times as a 7mm Mag and it extracted/ejected fine, since the re-chamber it hasn't ejected or extracted. It works like a champ with my buddy's bolt from his 7 SAUM. I sent the bolt to smith and had a new extractor put in and I replaced the ejector/spring. It will not extract a loaded case, ocasionally if you put an empty piece of brass it will eject/extract that, but not consistantly.

I have one right now that will not eject, I have replaced ejector and extractor, it will not grab the case and pull it out. If i use my buddy's bolt, it works like a champ. I replaced the ejector myself, sent mine to a smith to have extractor replaced...the riveted type. No bueno, the new one does the same thing the old one did....thinking of going the sako/m-16 route as well....getting tired of dicking with this thing! If anyone has experienced this before or can recommend a smith to do the conversion?

Here is some background on the rifle, it started life as a 7mm Rem Mag, had it re-chambered to 6.5 SAUM, it was shot a few times as a 7mm Mag and it extracted/ejected fine, since the re-chamber it hasn't ejected or extracted. It works like a champ with my buddy's bolt from his 7 SAUM. I sent the bolt to smith and had a new extractor put in and I replaced the ejector/spring. It will not extract a loaded case, ocasionally if you put an empty piece of brass it will eject/extract that, but not consistantly.

Can you compare it to another magnum extractor? Maybe take a dial caliper and measure from the outside of the bolt to the claw on the extractor from a working bolt, then measure yours for comparison. I suspect your extractor may be sitting too deeply in the recess in the boltface.

Another possible cause is excess headspace(unlikely). Just spitballing.

I had a similar problem a few years back with my 22-250, worked fine for the first couple thousand rounds, then gave up. The extractor cutout ended up being a little oversized and wouldn't constantly work with the new one. Switched over to saco extractor and it has worked flawlessly ever since!

Thanks for the replies, that was the road I was going to go down, the Sako that is. PITA when things don't work right! Murphy's law and all that shit!!! That sounds like a logical explanation though, it seems like the cases don't fit snug in there.