• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 extractor replacement

Bantam1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 18, 2008
    USA
    I purchased a used GAP barreled receiver with their trued 700 action and it has extraction problems. I have to tap the bolt slightly to get it to remove the case. The bolt in the GAP just doesn't have the feel when I open the bolt that my stock 700 action has. The stock bolt/action has a positive "click" sound and feel where the problem rifle doesn't. The stock action is stainless (S prefix) from 2007/2008. The GAP action has a G prefix and appears to be CM.

I checked the gap between the bolt handle and receiver and it has the exact same spacing as my stock Rem 700 (.035"). The wear pattern in the cerakote on each seems to be similar, maybe slightly less contact on the GAP. I noticed the extractor was loose in the bolt face. I grabbed the bolt from my other 700 and it works perfectly to extract the case and has the same "feel" as the stock action. This is a stock bolt with no truing work. So I purchased a new replacement extractor from Brownells and the new one seems to fit really loose also. Is it possible I screwed up the installation? The new one took a little "finessing" to get it into the bolt face but I did not force it.

Is there a way to tune the extractor or make it fit a little tighter like the stock one? I'm not opposed to sending it off to have the bolt handle timed if you all think that is the issue.

You should be able to see if the bolt handle timing is off - if the bevel engagement surface on the root of the bolt handle doesn't cam the bolt body back as the bolt handle is lifted through the last 10-15 degrees of rotation, it's not timed correctly. Does the bolt handle jump much when you dry-fire the rifle? The last three rifles I built for myself were on bare M700 receivers with PTG custom bolts and have just the slightest wiggle when dry-fired.

I've seen a couple of factory M700 bolts that had extraction issues from the time they were new - and replacing the extractor didn't help much. I figured there was probably an issue with the way the extractor recess in the bolt nose was machined at the factory. Due to how often I'd seen extraction issues with the stamped sheet metal extractor, I go with a mini 16 extractor on all the PTG custom bolts I've bought. Not to say that all factory M700 bolts are junk - far from it. But once in awhile, I come across one that continues to give problems after a new extractor is installed. That and the fact that I've yet to have any sort of extraction issue with a properly timed M700 bolt with the mini 16 extractor makes it a no-brainer when ordering a custom bolt.

It didn't appear to jump much but I can check it again when I get home. Like I said the wear pattern on the cam and receiver seems to be OK. I'm sure it could be better. I'll take some measurements and pics today.

Sounds like it’s time for a m16 extractor. Might be money well spent to have the bolt timed also. LRI among others offers these services. I can vouch for fast turn time with LRI.

They were my first thought if the new extractor didn't solve the issue.

If the brass is getting left in the chamber then replace the extractor. If not leave it.

If the bolt will not break the case loose from the chamber and needs to be tapped or hit to extract the case then you have primary extraction issues and the bolt handle needs to be repositioned...

Reactions: Mike Casselton
    I have to tap the bolt rearward to extract. When I used the other bolt I did not have to tap the bolt when checking the same cases that would not extract. This is why I suspected the extractor found it was loose in the bolt face. This is why I replaced it but the new one also fits loose. I think I may have screwed up the install since there is a lot of tension trying to get it back into the bolt.

They were my first thought if the new extractor didn't solve the issue.
    I’m taking an RR prefix action to them after Christmas for an extractor,dual ejectors, and bolt timing.

Here are some images of the cam path wear. It seems ok to me but I am not the expert. I checked the bolt jump when dry firing and the bolt doesn't seem to move fore/aft. The shroud just sort of rotates. It did this on both actions. I took a short video but have no idea how to post that.

GAP
    wxtjqXQ.jpg

Stock
    MnFJlYM.jpg

Bolt handle to receiver distance GAP
    jaAjQEz.jpg

Alex Wheeler has a few videos online about primary extraction on a 700 action. If you don’t get that distinct click when you lift the bolt handle it could be the primary extraction isn’t timed correctly. I find it interesting that it’s a GAP trued action with this issue...

@LongRifles Inc. can fix you up with other upgrades why your at it!

I've watched the videos and that's when I decided to measure the bolt handle to action clearance. It measured the same as the stock action. I double checked them both again yesterday. They are .027". I think I stated previously they were .035" which is not correct.