• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 Firing pin and retaining pin - Help

vman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Australia
www.google.com
Hi Guys.

Well stupid me has gone and ruined a perfectly good Nessika bolt shroud! I ordered this lovely bit of kit from PTG a week ago and It arrived today.

I succesfully pulled apart the Remington bolt and had everything ready for reassembly with the new bolt shroud.

Fast forward and here I am with a retaining pin that refuses to go down all the way and I cant seem to remove it again either. I have already smashed up the new shroud nice and good now, so im pretty dissapointed.

Are retaining pins directional? I cant understand why this thing refuses to go down all the way.

Re: Remington 700 Firing pin and retaining pin - Help

I don't believe they are. Is the shroud the only thing you're replacing?

The pin is not directional but it is kinda soft if you hit it hard with a punch. Sounds like it has swelled and is stuck. The only thing you can do is drill {difficult at best} or drive it out and replace it with a new one. If you try to file or sand it down so it fits again it will be too loose and move later. I always secure the assembly in a holding fixture and make certain the cocking piece is lined up perfectly with the firing pin by running a close fitting drift through it then install the pin. It also helps if you take a flat file and put a small bevel on the end of the pin so kind of centers itself going through. Seems like it should be an easy job, remove and replace a little pin but sometimes it is not.

Ended up fixing it guys.

I tried to pass the pin thru just the firing pin alone (not the cocking piece and pin whilst under stress). To my suprise I found passing the retainer pin thru the firing pin was extremely difficult.

The odd thing is it came out without too much force, so I assumed nothing of it. I wish I had have test fitted BEFORE i tried to reassemble. Bad assumption resulted in me ruining a nice bit of gear.

Hard lesson learned. A small pin can defeat you if your not careful.