• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 firing pin protrusion

Keith Johns

Phoenix Custom Rifles
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
My factory protrusion length was 58 thou. My new aluminum firing pin protrudes 60 thou.
What is the proper length it should protrude?

Like I said, factory was 58 thou.
I've installed a few aluminum firing pins and they were all between 53 and 60 thou, which is consistent with what the factory pins were at before removing and installing the aluminum ones. I think any variances in protrusion are more due to inconsistencies on Remingtons part machining the bolt, than on the firing pin itself.

Thanks

Anyone looking to do this by the way, Make sure to measure the protrusion of the pin to make sure it wont pierce the primer, or miss-fire

Re: Remington 700 firing pin protrusion

Check a couple hundred more OEM Rem bolts/firing pin's protrusion & enlighten us with your findings.

Quickens locktime by 55%-
How did you measure this???

Reducing a f/pins weight &/or increasing the springs compression rate will not produce faster lock times.

Thats what they claim. Just passing on their company info.

Here ya go sir:
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catSearch.aspx?pg=49&si=True&c=2456&ps=10
If your sure their product doesn't do what they claim, you might want to enlighten them.

Oops ya know I typed it up wrong a day or two ago. I JUST re-typed my signiture on like Thursday. It's 55% LIGHTER and 30-something % faster. My bad for the typo. It's corrected

I sell that aluminum firing pin, and their aluminum shroud together, so if you do the math, I'm not making a profit on it either...

And yes, I think I will measure every bolt I get in and post the results.

I measured two more bolts today with the firing pins protruded.
Both were 57 thou

Can't anyone tell me the factory measurement that Remington uses before it leaves their shop? Do they not measure it?

I'll post a few more findings as they come in

I just measured the firing pins with shaft and spring.

The SA Gre-tan aluminum ones weighs 439.4 grains

The factory 700 SA steel one weighs 671.7 grains

I believe Gre-tan measures just the firing pin and shaft. included the spring.