• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 from LongRifles: UPDATE Range Report

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
What a week this has been. Between waiting for USPS, finding out my stock needed more machining that I was set up to do, and fitting the action and barrel (M40) into a varmint contoured stock, I have been learning a LOT.

So, the rifle is finished bolting together (for now). I have the CDI Precision bottom metal in, barreled action from Chad Dixon and Garrett, and my stock cleaned, machined, and sanded out. Scope is affixed via Warne 20moa base and Warne 30mm rings. I am going to do my own camo on the stock. I am also waiting till after Christmas to get a few more accessories (Stock pack and such) as my wife has said "No more buying gun stuff till after Christmas. You are ruining my shopping list." (Love my wife!)

Look for my range report tomorrow. Not sure if I am going to get 600 yards are not, range is kind of messy. Will do what I can though!

Specs are as follows:
Remington 700 action, trued and threaded, pinned .250" recoil lug
Rock Creek M24/M40 contour barrel 11.25 twist finished at 22"
Threaded with thread protector
PTG bolt with M-16 extractor and LongRifles bolt knob (Action, barrel, and bolt all cerakoted in flat dark earth)
Chambered in .308 Winchester with Chad's "Sniper Reamer" (I believe that is what he called it. It is designed around a factory .308 cartridge with 175 grain SMK. No chasing the lands or anything.)
Stock X-Mark Pro trigger (For now. I am going to be doing a substantial amount of shooting and research to decide exactly what I want/need.)
Bell and Carlson stock
TAB gear sling
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 NP-R2

I think that is about it. Picture Time!
2011-12-09_18-43-09_617.jpg

Remington%252520700%252520by%252520LongRifles%25252C%252520Inc.jpg

2011-12-09_18-44-07_711.jpg

2011-12-09_18-44-37_474.jpg

2011-12-09_18-45-26_604.jpg

And last but not least, a special thank you to:
2011-12-09_18-46-04_598.jpg

HOW SHE STARTED LIFE:
2011-10-27_17-03-06_154.jpg

Re: Remington 700 from LongRifles is here!

Nice rifle.....let's see some groups

Very Nice, I like it! Clean and simple! My wife has told me the same thing about buying lately!!

What bottom metal/DBM are you running?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss334OP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What bottom metal/DBM are you running? </div></div>

How about actually reading the post.... It says clean as day he's running the CDI DBM....

I wanted a clean, no "yuppy" frills rifle. (Basically, no fluting)

I worked a metric ASS load of overtime for 4 months to scrape enough coin to give Chad and Garrett so I could get this built. I spent many months worth of time looking, reading, looking, and learning more to decide what options I wanted. I wanted a handier rifle than my old 26"+ barreled VSSF (with muzzle break), but still wanted a rifle I could shoot 800-1000 yards. I wanted a hammer, and knew that if I chose ANY gunsmith vendor from this site I would be happy with the final product. I chose Chad because I liked his process on building a rifle. Not that any other smith is lesser quality, just happened to like his method.

Eventually, I am going to order a suppressor and a clamp on muzzle break (Badger or the like).

I have built this rifle with a TON of help from this site, the Group-Buy section (Thanks Jeff at CDI), the smack the smiley contest prizes (TAB Sling and barrel from Rock Creek), and all the rest of the members that would post about their rifle and what they liked, disliked, would have had different, etc.

New guys to this forum: The information is ALL HERE! (google search function is priceless)

"I wanted a clean, no "yuppy" frills rifle. (Basically, no fluting)"

OOPS, better get rid of that fluted bolt knob! Just kidding, beautiful rifle. I have the same knob from Chad going onto my yuppy fluted PTG bolt on my 300 Win Mag build. Longrifles Inc. is a strong contender for my future business, and from recent conversations with Chad I think he's a great fellow who's passionate about his work. Looking forward to your range report. CKruse

Nice rifle looking forward to your range report!

Nice rifle. I ditched my X-mark in favor of a Timney. Flat out better in all ways and you won't have to work another "metric ass load of OT" to afford it
grin.gif

Ogreshooter, I see you listed the stock as a B&C, was thinking it looked like an HS Precision. Just wondering. Also, is it bedded or just bolted up to the block? Thanks, CKruse

How long did it take them to have it in your hands once you ordered the rifle to your specs? Also, can you be a bit more specific about which rifle this is? Is this the medium grade rifle? Also, what about cost?

I like it so much I plan on talking to Chad tomorrow and seeing how much a build like yours will cost.

Thanks.

Whole target:
2011-12-10_12-14-22_603.jpg

Yeah, I know, 3 shot groups are no-no's. Ran out of ammo and time.
2011-12-10_12-07-18_120.jpg

2nd group after bringing zero down. I am still prone to pulling a shot or two. This grouping is no different:
2011-12-10_12-08-06_999.jpg

This is the best of the 5 groups on target. Measured .7" Ammo was handloads built for another rifle I had. Shot OK in this rifle. I managed to remember how to shoot this go round, basic fundamentals and such:
2011-12-10_12-06-49_948.jpg

QUESTION ckruse: What stock is this? I was certain it was a Bell and Carlson, but it may be and HS Precision. Best info I had gathered pointed to B & C. Was a factory stock off of a 1996 Remington VSSF in 308.
At this time the rifle is bolted up to the block. I have not bedded it, but plan to do it this winter...maybe.

QUESTION SteelShot11: I got my rifle in to them when they were about ready to run a batch of rifles, so it was a REALLY quick turn around (about 6 weeks). Not sure what you mean about what "grade" it is. To my knowledge, Chad and Garrett put A+ work into everything that leaves their shop. So, A+ it is!
grin.gif

(Edit: This was my action and barrel. If I had to place it into a category, would be medium-ish tactical. Weight is around 15 pounds loaded. Talk to Chad or Garrett, they will help you out.)

Cost, you will need to talk to Chad. If you PM me, I may be a little more specific. Having shot the rifle today, I will tell you that it was worth EVERY PENNY.

Next I need to build up some loads and see what she can really do. Off to clean the rifle. Will build up some loads and head out again this week. This rifle is a cherry to shoot.

Nice grouping looking good, some trigger drills and load devolpment and be one holein in no time lol that's some good shooting partner

if its a factory stock of a rem 700 its HS

remington put the HS on the senderos vssf ex

some say better than BC but to me i like the BC just as much as the HS ,, both great stocks to start

your groups look good and should get better after afew rds down the pipe

Congrats on the new toy ogreshooter.

Is there many people in the K Falls area that shoot long range? Just curious because I'm not far from there.

There are a few shooters that enjoy distance shooting here. I am actively searching for more shooters that want to do more that just "hose and go" a la 3-gun. I have been slowly incorporating long range precision shooting to my match format. If you are interested, shoot me a PM and we can chat about it.

I know Medford has a long distance range, but no idea if it still operates or not. It's located just off 140 to Klamath by the drag strip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on the new toy ogreshooter.

Is there many people in the K Falls area that shoot long range? Just curious because I'm not far from there. </div></div>

Re: Remington 700 from LongRifles: UPDATE Range Report

Went back to the range today with more time and ammo. Brought along more Federal GMM 175 gr 7.62x51, Black Hills 168 match ammo, and some different handloads.

First 5 rounds out of the rifle after cleaning last night (44.8 gr BLC-2, 175gr SMK, 2.80 COAL). Aside from the horizontal dispersion (kinda windy today), I think that load is a keeper (vertical dispersion: .245").
2011-12-11_19-45-09_964.jpg

Rifle shot the BH ok, but was not overly impressed with it.
2011-12-11_19-45-30_442.jpg

The FGMM I was really impressed with. I shot a 10 shot group, and aside from a wild gust of wind (or maybe I screwed that shot up)1.18" (.75" without that stray). Stacked multiple rounds in a beautiful cluster:
2011-12-11_19-44-37_866.jpg

(Overall target):
2011-12-11_19-45-43_861.jpg

Bottom of the target was practicing target transitions. Still need practice there. Thinking about swapping a few triggers around and get rid of this X-mark trigger. Not consistent in pull. Really weird. Going to grab my old Remmy trigger for now and see how that does. Need to wait till after Christmas to buy a trigger in case Santa brings me one!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you got your 100 posts h2447intx.
What a gomer....</div></div>

Maybe he meant it as a question.

Since I didn't notice it being mentioned in the above posts I am curious. What distance the groups were shot at?

Orge, Great rifle builder. I have been looking at his stuff for a while now. The groups will come in you just need to give it some time. I find that new barrels take a few rds to settle in. I like the big heavy glass stocks, maybe a cheek pad?

What torque do you have your action screws at? I think you will be happy if you had the action skim bedded. Those stocks need to run around 65" or the action will move. If you bed them they will work better w/o the massive torque on the action screws.

Those are good groups but I know that rifle is capable of tighter groups. I had a Remington that really benefited from removing the HS stock and putting it in a chassis system. I believe bedding it would be the same. Another thing that helped was a custom trigger. Changing those two things really tighten my groups and made them more consistent.
Since you are reloading, you might try some Varget and BR2 primers. 43 or 44 grains should work with 175 SMK.