• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 in 7.62x54R?

gszeto99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Illinois, USA
Does anyone know if the Remington 700 can be chambered in 7.62x54r? It probably needs the long action but what about the modifications needed for the bolt? Can a donor 30-06 700 rifle be used (barrel set back to accommodate new chamber and bolt opened up for the 7.62x54r rimmed cartridge)? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Gene

Re: Remington 700 in 7.62x54R?

I think that a 30-06 is .308 and 7.62x54R is like .310/.311, that means a new bbl...

as far as the bolt mods, maybe, but I'm not an expert...

the real question is....WHY?

The magazine and receiver feed are not designed for a rimmed cartrige. If a 700 would feed rimmed ammo Remington would have made a 30-30 a long time ago. A 1914 patern Enfield would be much easier to make into a 7.62x54R. The bolt and magazine feed are already designed for a rimmed cartrige (303 British) and the barrel could be set back and rechambered as the Brit and Russian rounds are both .311 diameter bullets. You most like could do a 700 with enough money throne at it but why? Donald

I kind of wanted to do this myself, since I had a magnum bolt but don't really like magnum cartridges. It would be fairly expensive to do, even if you were only planning on a single shot.

You won't be able to use the standard extractor, since the front part of the bolt will need to be cut back almost to the face to allow for proper headspacing. This means you will have to use a claw style extractor such as the Badger or Sako. Another problem you'll encounter is that since the 700's extractor rotates with the bolt, you'll need a radial extractor cut like you'd find on a 91/30.

There are, of course, more little details that would need to be addressed, but the crux of the matter is that it wouldn't be as simple as opening up the bolt, setting the barrel back, and rechambering. If you wanted to put the money into it though, it would certainly be possible to do.

I've rechambered two rifles for 7.62x54R. I <span style="font-weight: bold">HIGHLY</span> recommend that you start off by using an action that was originally designed to feed and shoot <span style="text-decoration: underline">rimmed cartridges</span>.

I have always used the Siamese Mauser action made by Japan back in 1907 (roughly speaking). The Siamese action was originally designed and chambered in 8x52R so reworking it to feed 7.62x54R was rather easy.

Also, I've heard nothing but <span style="font-weight: bold">GOOD THINGS</span> about using the old Enfield actions.

A word of caution regarding ammunition. The military surplus 7.62x54R ammo is .303/.311 caliber. The imitation 7.62x54R you find made by some American companies use standard .300/.308 projectiles. Be cautious as to what bullets you use with what barrels!

Good luck and good shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WHY... </div></div>

My thoughts exactly.......

As a folly (I'm not criticising, the original meaning of the term was about doing something for no other reason than the personal satisfaction of just doing it 'my way'...), it could be done. The end result would be a lot of extra work to create a unique rifle that has less performance than it started out with; which I don't understand, but won't throw stones at.

Just buy a mosin for $70 dollars and sent it to GAP! LOL George told me he would do one for me one time, when he was drunk.

go buy a finnish target rifle ... they are some sweet shooters. I have a friend of mine that shoots one in highpower.

A Finnish M-39 is a Russian Mosin Nagant that's simply been dropped in the snow once, then accurized mightyfine by the Finns. Ask the Finns how they like the Russians some day (but wear a flack jacket when you do...).

LOL!!!

Greg

As long as you're using a strong receiver, I wouldn't sweat the bullet diameter difference. People aren't afraid to send .308 bullets down the .3065/.298 tight bore barrels, why should you really worry about a .311 in a .308? Pressures are kept fairly modest in the x54 anyway.

If you put a 308 barrel on the thing and shoot some of the surplus ammo you can get yourself in trouble. The 174gr and 204gr ball that came out of the Eastern Bloc in the 70's is pretty hot ammo. If you will dedicate shooting it with lower level ammo or just handload the stuff it's possible as Kombar said.

For giggles I was kicking around the idea of using one of my spare 91/30's to create a 22x54R wildcat. I got a 22x284 reamer instead because it was cheap on ebay and I didn't have to cut/grind it myself.

As Greg said, on a "folly" you can do it. That's why my dad has a k98 that shoots 7.62x39 and another that shoots 9x19 pistol ammo. They're fun in their own right, and the Mauser brothers would turn in their graves knowing that he chambered one of their flagship rifles with a Russian neutered round. Makes for interesting conversations with people at the range.