• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 in Manners T5A with Mini-Chassis - Need Help.

Changed

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2012
    I have a Manners T5A with mini-chassis that was originally on a Surgeon 591. In order to run my Rem 700 action in the stock I had to clearance the area to the left of the trigger shoe ( Timney Trigger), and relieve an area behind the bolt slot to allow for the back swept 700 bolt. While I understand that the chassis is a Floating tang design, it feels like the action is unstable. Is that normal? Also when I lay the barreled action into the stock it rests in the center, but when I tighten the front action screw the barrel begins to torque to the right. When I install and begin to torque the rear action screw the barrel moves all the way to the right of the barrel channel. Am I doing something wrong here? Is it binding somewhere that I don't see? All in all I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the action returning to the same location each time. It seems like it slips and slides around in the chassis until you start tightening down. I have attempted to capture the above issue in the pictures below.

I would appreciate any advice/assistance.

Chip

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

I just got off the phone with Mr. Manners, and he gave me a few things to run down. I'll report back on my findings. As is always the case he is a true gentleman. It seems there are a lot of these types of posts that do not follow through to the resolution. I will leave this up, as I proceed, and post my results for future reference.

By the way I love the stock, and I am sure that the issue I have is 100% user error. I am simply looking for ideas.

Tom suggested I remove the trigger and re-torque the action. This made perfect sense. It would eliminate any issue with the trigger. Other possible problem areas are the recoil lug (possibly off center/off angle), or an out of speck/crooked barrel.

Chip