• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 issue?? Questions

notacos4u

Rebellious Subject of New Yorkistan
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2007
The Imperial Control of New Yorkistan
Ok, I have a Remington 700, what I was told was a pss when I purchased it back in 2008. Shot fine. As I have decided to play more, I removed it from the HS Precision stock it came in and decided to put it in an AICS chassis. Immediately I had issue loading the mag and getting it seated. After I was able to get it seated, I had issue running the bolt to feed the action, like it was binding on something or catching. I played with the feed lips and tried to get it to feed normally, and wouldn’t. So I‘ve let it sit as I have other guns to shoot.

So, today, I said heck with it, and decided to put the action into a KRG Bravo chassis To see if it was something with the ASIC chassis. Once getting it fully assembled, I go to run the bolt, and not even torquing it to the proper amount, and closing the bolt is really hard. Thought the action screws were too long, so added additional washers To take up the space. Reassembled everything, and with no mag or rounds, bolt seems to run smooth. Once we go to load a mag and chamber a round, closing the bolt handle gives significantly more resistance to the point it is hard to close. Cycle the bolt, eject a round and send another round and go to close the bolt, and it gets even harder.

Not really sure what going on or what’s causing it. Like I said, when it was originally in the HS Stock, worked fine with the bdl, once I went to try a chassis system, thats when all the issues started. I did notice as we were playing with the 2 different chassis systems, if I set a washer between where the action sits and where the chassis is, I was able to load a magazine into the mag well and have it catch, but I’m pretty positive I shouldn’t have had to do that just to get the mag to catch, but still had the issue with bolt closing. Hopefully it’s something simple and I didn’t screw something up royally.

Please help.
Thanks,
A functional idiot!!!

Last edited:
First, try a different aics mag if possible.
Does it still mess up in the hs stock or is it fine back to factory?

I dont see how bolt close could get progressively harder each time you cycle it on a mag but then isnt on an empty chamber. Thats the inverse of how spring tension from a mag works.
Either your mag is too high up in the action and dragging on the bolt or your action bolts are too long and dragging on the bolt. Shouldnt be that hard to find which of the only 7 parts is at fault through simple checks.

Take the action out of the stock, does it work fine? If yes proceed.
Seat the mag in the bottom metal out of the stock, does it work? If yes proceed.
Put both together outside of the stock, does it work? If yes proceed.
Put it together in the stock loosely, does it work? If yes proceed.

Keep doing that until you find exactly what change is happening.

First, try a different aics mag if possible.
Tried multiple different mags… they all have the same issue

Does it still mess up in the hs stock or is it fine then?
haven’t tried it in the original stock

Take the action out of the stock, does it work fine? If yes proceed.
Bolt rides and works fine, closes like normal

Seat the mag in the bottom metal out of the stock, does it work?
mag seats fine with action out of either stock, loading or unloading

Put both together outside of the stock, does it work? If yes proceed.
Put it together in the stock loosely, does it work? If yes proceed.

Keep doing that until you find exactly what change is happening.

I dont see how it could get progressively harder each time you close the bolt on a mag but then isnt on an empty chamber.
doesn’t happen with every racking of the bolt, just some get WAY harder to close, but all are way harder than when empty

Either your mag is too high in the action and dragging or your bolts are too long.
in the AICS chassis, if I put the washer where the action is supposed to sit, I can load the magazine like it’s supposed to, but the issue with the bolt closing being substantially harder issue, doesn’t go away. On the KRG Bravo, I had to add an additional washer to the front and back

I used a trigger scale to try to get an idea of how much effort was needed to close the bolt, it’s around 7#’s empty….. With magazine in and trying to close it, the trigger scale max’s out at appr. 10.5 #’s, and it still takes significantly more effort to close the bolt.

Shouldnt be that hard to find which of the only 7 parts is at fault through simple checks.
That’s what I thought as well, yet here I am, dumbfounded.
I could try to take videos and upload them to show better what I am facing.

Can you feel the mag impinging on the bolt body when you insert it? The fact that a washer in between the stock and action alleviates the symptom tells me that your mag is getting presented too high.

Reactions: NewsShooter
In the KRG, not so much, in the Accuracy International stock, definitely…. I either have to really force the mag up and in, or slide the bolt back to insert the mag, then I have an issue riding the bolt forward… I’ve tried multiple different mags, and they all do it with the AI chassis.

without ammo in the KRG, I can ride the bolt back and forth and open and close it without an issue… once I put rounds in and do it… issues with both

Wait you are putting washers between the action and the chassis?

SIMPLE STEP ONE...

Take the action and plase it in the chassis (NO SCREWS) hold the action down into the chassis with your left hand and cycle the action?
Binding = STOP
NO binding go to step 2

Step 2
Install front action screw and snug it not tighten it.
Binding = STOP
NO binding go to step 3

Step 3
Install rear action screw and snug it not tighten it.
Binding = STOP
NO binding go to step 4

Step 4
Tighten front and rear action screws
Binding = STOP
NO binding go to step 5

Not sure how to upload videos… any help and I’ll upload the video I just did..

Wait you are putting washers between the action and the chassis?
No, not originally, I only did that after playing around…

SIMPLE STEP ONE...

Take the action and plase it in the chassis (NO SCREWS) hold the action down into the chassis with your left hand and cycle the action?
Binding = STOP
NO binding go to step 2
In KRG: with no magazine in, bolt rides fine and works as it should, minute I put the magazine in and ride the bolt, bolt rides forward without an issue, try to close bolt handle, excessive resistance

in AI: same as above, except I can feel magazine pressing against action.

Step 2
Install front action screw and snug it not tighten it.
Binding = STOP
NO binding go to step 3
in AI: same as above, except I can feel magazine pressing against action. I have to pull bolt back to get magazine to seat, without forcing the magazine in the mag well. Once I go to run bolt forward, there’s resistance riding the bolt forward and excessive effort to close bolt handle

Step 3
Install rear action screw and snug it not tighten it.
Binding = STOP
NO binding go to step 4

Step 4
Tighten front and rear action screws
Binding = STOP
NO binding go to step 5

Are you running aics branded metal mags? If so I had to file my feed lips down so they wouldn’t rub on the bolt. (Howa 1500) and also file down my latch to make it shorter.

Video looks to be more of a headspace problem. Or a short throat. Can you measure rounds before and after chambering? How does a single round feed without the mag?

Reactions: Rob01
Are you running aics branded metal mags? If so I had to file my feed lips down so they wouldn’t rub on the bolt. (Howa 1500) and also file down my latch to make it shorter.
I have aics mags as well as Pmags… no matter what mags I try to utilize, they’re all the same…. When I initially had this issue with only the AI stock, I asked in the AI thread about the issue and I tried bending, filing, and even buying brand new mags… nothing worked so I set it in the gun cabinet and just used other guns I had…. I figured today I would try to put it into the KRG stock to see if it was just something with the AI stock… nope…. Now I’m searching for help and answers

Once the round is in the chamber it has nothing to do with the magazine. That is the round fitting in chamber that is causing hard bolt close.

Video looks to be more of a headspace problem. Or a short throat. Can you measure rounds before and after chambering? How does a single round feed without the mag?
I do not, these are all factory hornady whitetail hunter rounds, which is what I constantly utilized before trying to switch to the chassis…

a single round doesn’t seem to have the same issue

Once the round is in the chamber it has nothing to do with the magazine. That is the round fitting in chamber that is causing hard bolt close.
Yes, that’s what I believe too, but it does impact the other issue I’m having with being able to load a magazine and run rounds in the AI chassis…

It seems to be a lesser issue in the KRG chassis, but still have the issue with the hard bolt close

Yes, that’s what I believe too, but it does impact the other issue I’m having with being able to load a magazine and run rounds in the AI chassis…

It seems to be a lesser issue in the KRG chassis, but still have the issue with the hard bolt close

The rounds seem to run fine. Pushing in a loaded 10 round magazine with bolt closed can cause issues as there is no room for the rounds to compress for it to hit the catch. Some chassis have adjustable magazine catches for this reason. If you pull the bolt to the rear the mag will pop right in correct?

The rounds seem to run fine. Pushing in a loaded 10 round magazine with bolt closed can cause issues as there is no room for the rounds to compress for it to hit the catch. Some chassis have adjustable magazine catches for this reason. If you pull the bolt to the rear the mag will pop right in correct?
Yes, it does exactly what your saying.

I am not sure if the AI or KRG has an adjustable mag catch. If not, what can I do to remedy that issue? I do not have these issues using my Bighorn TR3 in the KRG chassis with the same mags

Yes, it does exactly what your saying.

I am not sure if the AI or KRG has an adjustable mag catch. If not, what can I do to remedy that issue? I do not have these issues using my Bighorn TR3 in the KRG chassis with the same mags

Some try and modify the mag with a file or possibly the mag catch but then you get into possible issues with the whole chassis if you screw it up and can't replace it. Those Magpul mags are tough though as I had a GA Precision rifle they built for me in 2008 and ran any metal mag fine but when I tried the Magpul mags in it they wouldn't even lock in when empty and bolt back.

You could just load with the bolt open or download the mag a couple rounds if you needed to load with bolt closed.

Was the bolt hard to lock when in the HS stock? Did you shoot it in the hs stock prior to putting it in a chassis?

It sorta looks like just a new system that needs to wear and settle into place.

Try downloading the mags and run it at the range for a few days. See if she gets easier to cycle as she settles in.

Reactions: Rob01
Was the bolt hard to lock when in the HS stock? Did you shoot it in the hs stock prior to putting it in a chassis?

It sorta looks like just a new system that needs to wear and settle into place.

Try downloading the mags and run it at the range for a few days. See if she gets easier to cycle as she settles in.
Yes I’ve shot it from the the hs stock, was never an issue… was never an issue until I tried to put it into a chassis… if worse comes to worse, I’ll put it back in the hs stock and if the issues clear up, just stick with that and move on….

I’ve already have a Bighorn TL3 and have 2 of the ARC Coup De Grace on order, so not really sure how much use it would get anyhow, was more getting it set for my grandkids and others to shoot

Once you load just one round and it works smooth with no excessive force to close…are you always using the exact same round?

If so use a bunch of different different rounds to test.

I had a rifle in which only some factory rounds in any random box were hard to close the bolt on. I don’t know what the problem was (headspace?), but @spife7980 had a good post on the subject.

also try different ammo. My Dad’s old hunting rifle was a remington 700 in 30-06. It would easily load lighter stuff 150-160ish gr. But it was a pain to load 180gr and heavier.

Maybe try some lighter grain weight bullets and see.

That hard bolt closing could easily be a too long front action screw hitting the right bolt lug as it rotates down on closing.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
So, I tried 3 different types of ammo, and about 20 rounds of each, and when I’m singly loading the ammo into the chamber, it’s closing as normal. So, it appears I’m only experiencing the hard on close with a magazine in the well… not sure if it’s being caused by the pressure from the magazine and the rounds pressing up against the bolt.

Reactions: carbonbased
That hard bolt closing could easily be a too long front action screw hitting the right bolt lug as it rotates down on closing.
Checked that to see if the screw was going through touching the bolt head, it does not appear it is…. Even added another washer on the bottom to make sure it wasn’t that