• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 long action rebarrel question

maxfield911

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2022
georgia
I have a Remington 700 adl in 30-06, can I have the barrel removed and have a 7mm prc barrel made for the action? Thanks in advance for the info.

Thanks for the help guys. I was trying to be budget friendly, but it seams just buying a full rifle is going to be cheaper then getting my barrel swapped and getting a new bolt

Have you considered getting a barreled action? I know howa makes them just a thought.

Last edited:
I have a Remington 700 adl in 30-06, can I have the barrel removed and have a 7mm prc barrel made for the action? Thanks in advance for the info.
It would be a lot easier if you started with a 700 Magnum action, from a 7mm RemMag or .300 WinMag and went from there. Then it would be a simple barrel swap.

You could always rebarrel your old .30-06 into a .280 Ackley. It would require nothing but a simple barrel swap. It's a great cartridge, as well. And no slouch. Also, lots of people, including Nosler, make quality factory ammo for it. I have a 24" Christensen Arms Ridgeline in .280 Ackley that I handload for, and it pushes Berger 175 Elite Hunters that averages 1/4-1/3 MOA groups, at just over 2,700 FPS MV. Which might sound kind of slow, but when you run the numbers on that bullet at that velocity, it's got more than enough to reach way on out there.

I think you misread my post. I bought a barreled action. This means I got an action a barrel already on it. No need to swap barrels. Not interested in 280 Ackley. Great round but not my cup of tea. I also don't care for the action on my 30-06. The action got is stainless steel and cerakoted and the bolt is fluted with a skeletonized handle. The barrel is already threaded and has a muzzle break. In the end it's very good value. The cost to rebarrel my 30-06 would have likely been more than 700 if I included all the upgrades that came on the barreled action.
Yeah, I'm well aware of how all this works, I have a safe full of custom built rifles...But I didn't quote you. I replied to @maxfield911 original post.

Thanks for the help guys. I was trying to be budget friendly, but it seams just buying a full rifle is going to be cheaper then getting my barrel swapped and getting a new bolt
You might want to wait for 7mm PRC to get more popular. Barreled actions run pretty cheap. That would definitely be the cheapest route. 6.5 PRC has had a little more time and howa makes barreled action for about $400-600. If this is a hunting rifle that will work. Brownells also often will have 10% off coupons. You would just basically swap the stock. A barrel blank will cost you $400 and all the work from a gunsmith probably another $400 depending on what you want and your smiths rates. You'll spend a lot more rebarreling not even including the bolt which will be about $400. $1200 is a decent mid tier rifle these days. The beauty of owning a nice long action remington stock is you can basically run multiple barreled actions on it if you want to go low budget. Howa also make very decent stuff for hunting applications. This is definitely not PRS type stuff. But hey it could probably work.

This is not what you want but I'm sure 7mm PRC will be available soon in a similar package:

This is a 7mm PRC barreled action that has carbon fiber barrel, much more expensive however a carbon barrel alone usually goes for about $900 without a bolt or the action:

Keep the 30-06, buy a 7mm Rem Mag, slightly more case capacity, just as good, ammo and components available everywhere...no line, no waiting, or new used, have it your way, today.

Isn’t Remington producing a 700 Long Range in 7mm PRC? I have one in .30-06 and it’s a solid rifle.

Just checked and yeah they are. It’s SKU R84158.