• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 LTR extractor problem

m1garand30064

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Hey everyone,
I have a remington 700 LTR and I am having problems closing the bolt when I chamber a new round. The back end of the bullet is torn up from the extractor, so I assume it is a problem with the bolt/extractor. Has anyone had this problem before and how did you fix it? Thank you all for your help!

Re: Remington 700 LTR extractor problem

Extractor should pop over the cartridge base Sound like factory defect.
In owning many 722, 721, & 700 I have only had one problem, a 244 H&H build (a hot number, 100 gr bullet @3600fps) on a 700 Classic action (300 H&H) that would tear extractors out of the bolt. A conversion to a SAKO extractor cured that problem.

I have not had that problem, but all I know is that I got an LTR a few months ago and the quality of what Remington has been putting out has gone completely down the shit pipe. The finish SUCKS, already huge wear marks down to the metal on my barrel. stampings on the barrel are fucked up, triple stamped to get right... Had I known this I would have just gotten a GAP

That is not good to hear. Maybe I will sell it and replace it with something good. What do you all think of the remington 5r? Do they have the same issues?

What could I expect to get for a Remington LTR with a super sniper scope on top? I think I paid around 1100 for the rig a year or two ago. Thanks for the help!

Have someone look at the extractor that knows what they are looking at.

The extractor on the medium and small calibers "float" inside the bolt face. They also can partially rotate inside the bolt face.

It should have a little spring to it if you push in on the claw. There could be crud behind the extractor causing you an issue. There could also be a burr on the claw that is eating your brass.

If this is the case you would need a new one. The extractor is not meant to be removed and put back in. You basically destroy it removing it.

i sent my 6.8 rem LTR and had a sako extractor put in. GAP offers that servive never had trouble after that

It sounds like the claw is not seating of the rim of the cartridge. Pull it out and get a a new one from Midway or Brownells (and get a few extra). Might as well get the ejector spring, ejector and roll pin too. Swap it out and see if it helps, if it does your golden if it doesn't your only out 5-10 bucks and then send it to GAP for a sako kit, that will most definitely fix it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have someone look at the extractor that knows what they are looking at.

The extractor on the medium and small calibers "float" inside the bolt face. They also can partially rotate inside the bolt face.

</div></div>

+1
Sounds like the extractor is not rotated fully into place.

Sounds to me like there might be something wedged behind the extractor that's not allowing it to spring open over the rim of a round. Check for crap or even a burr wedged between the extractor and the bolt wall.

A 5R has the same extractor.

I am pretty set on selling that gun and saving my clams for a GA precision weapon system. What do you think I can get for the gun, and what is the current wait time on a GAP rifle? Thanks!

If it's marking it on the face were the caliber is stamped, I bet it could be a ejector issue. Also are you having trouble with it pulling the case out of the chamber? TM

It is a .308 caliber.

No I am not having any problems ejecting the round. The only resistance I get is when I am trying to close the bolt after chambering the round.

I would also like to add that I have a 10x super sniper scope mounted on the gun. Thanks again for all the help!!

Check your lugs. One of mine was a little tight. Lapping the lugs seems to have fixed the problem. I thought the problem was my ejector pin however, that was not the case.

Also check to see if the front action screw is touching the bottom recoil lug on the bolt. Or the scope base screw is touching the bolt .
Some times a burr will form at the top rear of the action where the bolt cams up and rearward at the same time. Use a 400-600 grit hone will remove the burr .

Hope this helps , Howard

Man hate to hear your having problems with a LTR. I've had one for about the same amout of time you have. I've not had any problems with mine and it shoots great. I would clean the chamber real good and the bolt face real good if it's eating up the brass could have as shaving got behide the extractor not letting move up and over the csae rim. If that doesn't fix the problem take the scope base off and see if that fixes it. If after that it is still doing the same thing loosen your front action screw a turn or two. If the action cycles correctly after either the scope base screw or action screw as been removed/loosened than you have screw thats hitting the bolt body or lugs somewhere. Also may look for maring on the bolt body or lugs if you see something take note where it is and it will let you know what to look at first.

HOpe this helps I think the LTR is worth keeping. You state you got 1100 in it if thats the rifle base and rings I wonuld not take very much off it if you sell. I gave 950 just for the rifle when I brought mine.

Just let me buy it from you for $500.00 and be done with it!!!
grin.gif

Rather than start a new topic......

My 300WM extractor has been an erattic POS now I finally found out the extractor is moving....basicly thinking that DD Ross removed it and machined the bolt and just re-installed the extractor......just a guess but probably did happen....question is this....can a dirty Diesel mechanic get the new extractor in the bolt....if I wash my hands that is....or should I have the local smith do it and pay him?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rather than start a new topic......

My 300WM extractor has been an erattic POS now I finally found out the extractor is moving....basicly thinking that DD Ross removed it and machined the bolt and just re-installed the extractor......just a guess but probably did happen....question is this....can a dirty Diesel mechanic get the new extractor in the bolt....if I wash my hands that is....or should I have the local smith do it and pay him? </div></div>

If I'm not mistaken the magnum extractors are still the rivet in type.Unless you have the rivet tool it would be better to send it to a reputable smith to install one.

if you are a mechanic it should not even be a challenge to you.i think midway has schematics also thatare helpful.

So they just pop out and pop in?

I am a CAT mechanic so even my inch lb torque wrench is 3/8"...never really use the 1/4" drive!!! We have big hammers instead!
shocked.gif