• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 M40 Vietnam Era Commemorative?

Jcaplinger199

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2019
Arlington, TX
This may be the wrong forum. I apologize if that’s the case. I was wondering if anyone could give me anymore info about these? Remington 700 M40 Vietnam Era Commemorative rifle…? Is it just a R700 with a heavy barrel and a wood stock?

Attachments

• 020733CC-D6D4-4C8B-8CB2-95E16180BF48.jpeg
    020733CC-D6D4-4C8B-8CB2-95E16180BF48.jpeg
    775.9 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: H ?
About $700 dollars when they first went on the market, I sadly turned one down from my retailer. They pretty much devoured all period Weaver scopes on the market at the time.

So, to double up on my stupidity for not buying the rifle, I had a 1960's Remington rifle that was sold at the Ramstein AB hunting club in the mid-1960's with a beauty of a correct Weaver scope for that rifle. I sold it for more than I paid for the entire combo. Then traded the rifle for a left-handed Winchester Classic Safari Express in .375 H&H. Not a total loss.

They are known to be very accurate and period correct, very nice oiled walnut with Aluminum butt plates, just like ordered by the military.

Reactions: canman
The M40s had different cuts on the receiver than a standard M700. One was a stripper-clip guide cut in the top rear receiver ring, which was useless. Another cut was in the front receiver ring for the nose of a cartridge to clear earlier during extraction.
And yes, those are two different commemoratives completely.

There is a 3rd group of commemorative rifles. Remington had a min of 125 rifles for a special order from what I heard. The remainder of 22 Chuck Mawhinney rifles which were not shot by Chuck and did not have scopes were sold by Marty (Badger Ordnance) helping out Chuck and the investors. Not sure what else might be different on those rifles.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
There is a 3rd group of commemorative rifles. Remington had a min of 125 rifles for a special order from what I heard. The remainder of 22 Chuck Mawhinney rifles which were not shot by Chuck and did not have scopes were sold by Marty (Badger Ordnance) helping out Chuck and the investors. Not sure what else might be different on those rifles.
Ive read about this also. Supposedly there was enough parts left over to assemble another 22 rifles after the initial 103 for the Chuck Mawhinney commerative was completed.
Then again Ive read or heard so many conflicting and contradicting stories about the various M40 commeratives till i really dont know what to believe.
I have one of the Remington SSA commeratives.
For the longest the story was Remington made 1000 of these circa 2005/2006, however, the article i posted above as well as other sources say there were 1500 of them made in 2004??. Confusing.
Ive never seen or heard of one from that batch having a s/n above 1000, but who knows.

Then again Ive read or heard so many conflicting and contradicting stories about the various M40 commeratives till i really dont know what to believe.
I have one of the Remington SSA commeratives.
For the longest the story was Remington made 1000 of these circa 2005/2006, however, the article i posted above as well as other sources say there were 1500 of them made in 2004??. Confusing.
Ive never seen or heard of one from that batch having a s/n above 1000, but who knows.
I have one left that is SSA 10XX. I had 2 more but would have to check my old records on the SN's but they were all close. Distributor said they didn't come with the challenge coins. I guess they took them out of all the SSA's they had. I understood the final number was 1100.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
I have one of the 22 Badger/MaWhinney rifles.

Same. Very good shooter. I believe the bedding was done by GAP on the CW Rifles. I dont believe there were "assembled with extra parts" but were just rifles that didnt sell. If someone can find the thread it would clear it up. I couldnt find it.

M40A1 and M40 Deer Hunting.jpg

Regards,
DT

Same. Very good shooter. I believe the bedding was done by GAP on the CW Rifles. I dont believe there were "assembled with extra parts" but were just rifles that didnt sell. If someone can find the thread it would clear it up. I couldnt find it.

View attachment 7838940

Regards,
DT
This isnt what i remember reading concerning the Badger/Mawhinney over run, but its all i could come up with on short notice.
If accurate there were actually 32 rifles in the over run, not 22 as i said and it appears they were built at a later date.

P.S. I dont believe they were assembled with extra parts either, im confident they have just the right number.😁🤣
20220330_112552.jpg
20220330_112622.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: D_TROS
Per the former Remington Defense sales manager, the original Chuck Mawhinney order was for 125 commemorative rifles. The 22 'over-runs' were for Marty as his "payment" for facilitating the project. (I recall that Badger Ordnance provided all the repo M40 scope mounts for that project, etc). So 125 signed floorplates where made, of which 103 had the "x of 103" to reflect Chuck's record in Vietnam. The other 22 just had his signature, as shown below, but all 125 rifles were otherwise identical. Yes, GAP did the bedding. They are nice rifles for sure. I got mine from Marty in the spring of 2015, one of the last two that he had....

M40 bottom w accesories.jpg

Last edited:
Per the former Remington Defense sales manager, the original Chuck Mawhinney order was for 125 commemorative rifles. The 22 'over-runs' were for Marty as his "payment" for the project. (I recall that Badger Ordnance provided all the repo M40 scope mounts for that project, etc). So 125 floorplates where made, of which 103 had the "x of 103" to reflect Chuck's record in Vietnam. The other 22 just had his signature, as shown below, but are otherwise identical. Yes, GAP did the bedding. They are nice rifles for sure. I got mine from Marty in the spring of 2015, one of the last two that he had....

View attachment 7839921
I'm still kicking myself for not getting one of these!
Beautiful rifle
DW

Reactions: D_TROS and canman