• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Remington 700 Mountain SS / elk hunting

michael_aos

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've been loading & shooting a 260 Remington in matches for quite a while. I was using Winchester 7mm08 brass until the Lapua 260 brass was released.

Years ago, I bought a Remington 700 Titanium in 260 Remington. Can't hit a paper-plate at 100yds with this rifle. Stuck it in the back of the safe.

Since I was in a pinch, I bought a Remington 700 SPS Stainless in 270 WSM a couple years ago. I wound up sticking the action in a McMillan HTG with Badger M5 DBM & Accurate Mag WSM magazines (1 of the 2 works well).

My 270 WSM setup shoots really well, and it kills elk, but it's HEAVY.

For this year, I was toying with the idea of trying one of the new Remington 700 Mountain SS rifles in either 7mm08 or 308 (can't find one in 280 Remington).

Any thoughts on these?

My thinking -- especially with the 308 -- is that it would be great to have as a backup or loaner and would be pretty versatile.

I do already load (long action) 284 Winchester, and I've toyed with the idea of converting that POS 260 Remington, but it's not like you can find 284 Win ammo at Wal-Mart.

I don't load 308 Winchester or 7mm08 Remington, but I'd probably hunt with factory ammo anyway.

Re: Remington 700 Mountain SS / elk hunting

2e23r6w.jpg

I had 2 of the SS Rem 700 .308 Mountain Guide rifles that Rem made a few years ago. They came in a composite stock reinforced with carbon & aramid fiber that I think was made by B&C but could be mistaken on that info. Was the same stock as the Rem 700 Ti rifles have and they were a special run for Gander Mountain I believe.

Both of the .308's shot sub moa out to 300yds with quality factory fodder - was shooting 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at the time. Both would keep 3 shots well under .75moa if you didn't heat the barrels up.

I was shooting deer and killed well over 50 in 2 seasons trying to help reduce an excessive doe population on 3,000 acres of hunting property. There were several good bucks killed in this group also ranging up to 260#'s.

Everyone I remember was a 1 shot kill with lots of neck shots when possible. Several were behind the shoulder shots and there were shoulder shots on lots of them also.

I know this doesn't answer your question on shooting Elk, but that combo sure was good on deer. It would be my opinion that proper bullet choice with a .308 would make it suitable and as always, good shot placement.

Good Luck, Good Hunting.

I went ahead and ordered the Remington 700 MOUNTAIN SS BC 308 (84277) online for $838 plus $9 insurance.

My thinking is something like a 165gr AccuBond @ ~2800fps should compare favorably with the 140gr @ 3250fps 270 WSM I have been shooting. Especially up close.

The area I've been hunting the last 5yrs tends to be pretty thick, so long shots aren't common. The last elk I shot was about 75yds.

Worst-case, the 308 gets relegated to back-up status. Still fine for deer or hogs. It's bound to come in handy.
--

Always a good day when you buy another rifle. congrats. BTW sps has some 165 AB's at cup and core prices http://shootersproshop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=71_101_103

Nosler blems are not jacked up like the Remmy ones are. Looking at them you can not tell they are blems. Most time they are just over-runs

Also if you use coupon code 10$100 and save 10% off an order over 100. expires today. I am not affiliated, just passing along the tip.

http://www.nosler.com/what-is-a-factory-second-bullet.aspx

I stopped by JAX sporting goods for some gear, and they wanted $38 for a box of partitions. I got some at SPS for $15, the only thing is you have to check everyday as their inventory turns over very fast.

I haven't really decided if I want to start handloading 308 Winchester.

I already load some rifle cartridges -- 223 Win, 260 Rem, 284 Win, 338 Lapua and lots of handgun cartridges.

My thinking for this rifle is to get a good solid zero with some premium factory big-game ammo and then buy a few boxes to last me a lifetime.
--

I can understand, if you will only shoot 308 elk hunting, a couple boxes of Nosler Trophy grade should last you a couple years.

Which glass are you going with?